What's new
What's new

Input amperage needed

BigB

Plastic
I have a Miller 330A/BP TIG welder. I have it running on 230 single phase. I need to buy a RPC to run my lathe, so I might as well get a big enough RPC to run the lathe and the welder.

Someone has removed the label on my machine that lays out the input voltage, and I can’t find it in the users manual.

Any help is appreciated.

TIA
BB

I scanned the page from my manual showing the different voltages.
Most get by with a 50 amp breaker,mine is hard wired to a 100.
xECxLtX.jpg

Yeah, probably configured for 480, but only driven by two legs, so single phase.

Remember- it's an AC-capable TIG supply, and the easiest way to get that, from a transformer-based machine, is through single-phase...

A three-phase TIG would require THREE electrodes and man... that'd be a funny handpiece...

Yeah, probably configured for 480, but only driven by two legs, so single phase.

Remember- it's an AC-capable TIG supply, and the easiest way to get that, from a transformer-based machine, is through single-phase...

A three-phase TIG would require THREE electrodes and man... that'd be a funny handpiece...

Another reason to own a modern inverter machine.

Another reason to own a modern inverter machine.

A couple of reasons to NOT own a "modern inverter machine":
1. Cost
2. Very sophisticated electronics that are very expensive to repair, and won't take the harsh environment
of an unheated shop very long
3. Unnecessary complication when sometimes vanilla TIG will suffice.
4. Ease if theft..."Lunchbox sized" welders & plasma cutters are eye candy for thieves.
Easily stolen.
5. "electricity savings" is not much of a priority if the machine get's used for an hour every 6 months.

A couple of reasons to NOT own a "modern inverter machine":
1. Cost
2. Very sophisticated electronics that are very expensive to repair, and won't take the harsh environment
of an unheated shop very long
3. Unnecessary complication when sometimes vanilla TIG will suffice.
4. Ease if theft..."Lunchbox sized" welders & plasma cutters are eye candy for thieves.
Easily stolen.
5. "electricity savings" is not much of a priority if the machine get's used for an hour every 6 months.

Doug,
Much of what you say was true, but not so much with the new machines. First, the new machines provide much higher currents without taxing the input power service. Not everybody has industrial amperage in the wall. The new machines cost much less than the older transformer machines, but they are today a consumable as you said. The odds of getting a broken inverter welder repaired after only a few years of age are next to nil. just buy a new machine, it will be both faster and cheaper. The up side is the new welders are super smooth to use and much more controllable as well.

Doug,
Much of what you say was true, but not so much with the new machines. First, the new machines provide much higher currents without taxing the input power service. Not everybody has industrial amperage in the wall. The new machines cost much less than the older transformer machines, but they are today a consumable as you said. The odds of getting a broken inverter welder repaired after only a few years of age are next to nil. just buy a new machine, it will be both faster and cheaper. The up side is the new welders are super smooth to use and much more controllable as well.

Cost much less ?

I bought a nearly new, black face miller 330 abp for $400.

Super smooth and controllable as well ?? Some people don't need all that extra control and smoothness.

Repairs ? Miller inverters (not cheap at all) I see local shops buying 5 to have 4 kept running, 1 is always "out for expensive repairs".

Back