What's new
What's new

Intersting nordic youtube channel for gas welding and related stuff

DennisCA

Hot Rolled
With a nordic perspective. It only has like 450 followers. Has alot of videos from former AGA which used to be the name in anything gas related here, still around but bought by Linde gas.

It has a lot of nice historical content in scandinavian languages, but most relevant to this forum, also english videos.

Here for instance is a video on flame straightening

And a video on oxy-fuel safety from a nordic perspective and equipment

And here is the whole english playlist
YouTube

Plenty other videos for those who understand swedish or norweigan too. Also some danish videos but not even danes understand danish.

Thought maybe this would be of interest to someone, maybe compare and contrast differences in equipment and procedures.

I found the "plasma cutting for executives" particularly interesting from a historic view.
I used to do some nesting of an early system, and there it was.
Submerged Plasma with a ring of water added to the torch.

I find it interesting the prevalence here of injector based welding torches, they dominate by far. Whereas equal pressure mixers are rarer. The bigger X21 cutting torches are all equal pressure though, it seems that system scales up a lot better.

An american person watching someone light up an injector torch like the X11 would probably think that guy's doing it all wrong, turning on the oxygen first and then the acytelene before lighting up. Shut off procedures are the same though, fuel gas first.

There were equal pressure mixers and tips made for the X11, but sadly they have been discontinued. They where said to work well with propane (funny, elsewhere I see injectors touted as better with alterantive fuels and worse with acetylene) as well as using less oxygen and giving a "softer" flame more suited for brazing.

I find it interesting the prevalence here of injector based welding torches, they dominate by far. Whereas equal pressure mixers are rarer. The bigger X21 cutting torches are all equal pressure though, it seems that system scales up a lot better.

An american person watching someone light up an injector torch like the X11 would probably think that guy's doing it all wrong, turning on the oxygen first and then the acytelene before lighting up. Shut off procedures are the same though, fuel gas first.

There were equal pressure mixers and tips made for the X11, but sadly they have been discontinued. They where said to work well with propane (funny, elsewhere I see injectors touted as better with alterantive fuels and worse with acetylene) as well as using less oxygen and giving a "softer" flame more suited for brazing.

I think that the injector torches were used with acetylene generators, and they kept that style long after bottles came popular.
I think the injector style is less safe, suffering from more flashbacks (no personal experience here, something I read awhile ago).

I also think the development of the 2 piece cutting tip (for propane) allowed the usage of the equal pressure torches.

I am not sure, the injector type is said to create negative pressure on the acetylene side, so it's sucked out by the speed of the O2 pressure. Theoretically it shouldn't allow for O2 to head up the fuel gas side. But perhaps if the O2 pressure is too low to create the venturi effect... That requires both gasses to be running low though.

But I have heard of people having flashbacks, almost always from insufficient gas pressure on the acetylene side so several people I know recommend turning up the acetylene a little higher than usual, 1-1.2 bar instead of 0.8.

But that's also why everyone has check valves on torch bodies and arrestors on the regulators at a minimum. Or doubled up arrestors. I am not sure which is safer, because while a torch mounted arrestor will stop flashback, they can also increase the chances of it happening. Because they degrade from the torch heat and can excessively restrict gas flow, they restrict gas flow somewhat even when new. The bigger regulator mounted ones don't suffer from this and are even resettable.

Opinions on this are clearly divided. In Finland work places must use torch mounted flashback regulators in addition to regulator mounted ones. In Sweden, Norway and Denmark check valves on torches are mandated instead.

EDIT: fixed some errors.

Last edited:
I learned an intersting thing about american welding hoses. Apparently you got something called T-rated hoses, good for use with acetylene and propane both. Never heard of such a thing over here, but it sure sounds handy if you wanna move from one to the other or use both.

I learned an intersting thing about american welding hoses. Apparently you got something called T-rated hoses, good for use with acetylene and propane both. Never heard of such a thing over here, but it sure sounds handy if you wanna move from one to the other or use both.

Yes. T rated are for propane.
How are the hoses done in your country ?

Back