What's new
What's new

Italian Wilton Bullet?

dzarren

Plastic
I was browsing the Facebook classifieds one day, and I saw this vice, I couldn;t really see the name, but it looked vaguley like a Wilton Bullet, so i figured I'd ask the guy. He had it for sale for 25 bucks, but when I contacted him, he said it was on hold. I asked him if he was taking offers, and I offered him 60 bucks. He said if i came down the following morning beofre 10am, i could have it for 30 dollars. So I made my way down in the morning, and I grabbed the vise off him.

When I took it home, it turned out it was a Wilton, but it was made in Italy under a slightly different name? Wilton-Glisenti? Looks like it's a model 100, and it has four inch jaws.

Something I noticed right away, was that the jaws are mounted differently than the standard USA bullet vises. On the USA bullets, the jaws have a through hole, and are clamped via a bolt that goes into a threaded hole into vise itself.

On this vise, it looks like the holes in the vise have been drilled clean through, and the bolts come in from behind, and thread into the a tapped hole into the jaw itself. I thought this was a modification made by someone in the history of the vise? Kind of odd i thought.

The bolts that hold in the jaws are for sure not original, I replaced them with socket head cap screws that fit a lot better. I thought that this through hole modification was user done, because the counterbore on the through holes are to different depth, so the cap screws sit at slightly different depths for each hole.

But recently, my friend bought a nearly identical vise on Facebook as well, and the same through hole through the back madness is present on his as well. So perhaps this is factory?

Anyway, I would love some more information on this vise if you guys had any, the anvil seems far far larger than what is on the regular bullet vises. Swivel base is still there, and everything works great.

It came with some scrap coppper jaws, which i polished up a bit. I'll probably be making some new jaws for these guys sometime soon.

Here are some pictures.

cises.jpg

Here is the other side of the vise, been painted blue.

itehr side.jpg

This is the picture from the Ad I saw on Facebook, i couldnt tell much, other than that it had to be worth at least 25 dollars hehehe.

1.jpg

Here are some before and after pics of the jaws. I just used the belt grinder, and then polished it with a deburring wheel.

jawq.jpg

jawa afeter.jpg

The date i think says july 63.

Why did this get thread get moved to welding fabrication?

I was browsing the Facebook classifieds one day, and I saw this vice, I couldn;t really see the name, but it looked vaguley like a Wilton Bullet, so i figured I'd ask the guy. He had it for sale for 25 bucks, but when I contacted him, he said it was on hold. I asked him if he was taking offers, and I offered him 60 bucks. He said if i came down the following morning beofre 10am, i could have it for 30 dollars. So I made my way down in the morning, and I grabbed the vise off him.

When I took it home, it turned out it was a Wilton, but it was made in Italy under a slightly different name? Wilton-Glisenti? Looks like it's a model 100, and it has four inch jaws.

Something I noticed right away, was that the jaws are mounted differently than the standard USA bullet vises. On the USA bullets, the jaws have a through hole, and are clamped via a bolt that goes into a threaded hole into vise itself.

On this vise, it looks like the holes in the vise have been drilled clean through, and the bolts come in from behind, and thread into the a tapped hole into the jaw itself. I thought this was a modification made by someone in the history of the vise? Kind of odd i thought.

The bolts that hold in the jaws are for sure not original, I replaced them with socket head cap screws that fit a lot better. I thought that this through hole modification was user done, because the counterbore on the through holes are to different depth, so the cap screws sit at slightly different depths for each hole.

But recently, my friend bought a nearly identical vise on Facebook as well, and the same through hole through the back madness is present on his as well. So perhaps this is factory?

Anyway, I would love some more information on this vise if you guys had any, the anvil seems far far larger than what is on the regular bullet vises. Swivel base is still there, and everything works great.

It came with some scrap coppper jaws, which i polished up a bit. I'll probably be making some new jaws for these guys sometime soon.

Here are some pictures.

View attachment 311831

Here is the other side of the vise, been painted blue.

View attachment 311832

This is the picture from the Ad I saw on Facebook, i couldnt tell much, other than that it had to be worth at least 25 dollars hehehe.

View attachment 311834

Here are some before and after pics of the jaws. I just used the belt grinder, and then polished it with a deburring wheel.

View attachment 311835

View attachment 311836

Ermmm. all well and good, but.. what you have - and it would be no different if US made - is a basic "white bread" repair/farm/garage/workshop/ public utility field vehicle bed or bumper mount... general-purpose utility vise.

Price paid was OK. But as goods go, it isn't really a "big deal". Even for garage hobby use.

Now .. as to Italian vises? They make all kinds.

WHEN.. you can grab five 6" Gerardi "modulars" (MSRP over a thousand bucks for ONE?) for a measly thousand bucks. .as "some among us" have done?

THEN.. "PM" IS the right place to gloat! Most hobby folk wouldn't have a Klew why ANY vise on Planet would command that sort of a price.

We DO have that klew!

:D

I spent 30 years in a shop full of 4 1/2" Wilton Bullets and that vise doesn't look like any one of them. The fixed jaw is a little different on this vise.

JH

I spent 30 years in a shop full of 4 1/2" Wilton Bullets and that vise doesn't look like any one of them. The fixed jaw is a little different on this vise.

JH

Movable jaw was the one I've had the misfortune to have to repair several of.

I like the shielding of the screw the "bullet" shape provides for an out in the weather vise on a lineman's work truck, mobile welding rig & c.

Otherwise, lots of "legacy" vises are stronger and more abuse-resistant, "abuse" being the unavoidable lot in life for most utility vises, like it or never.

Back