What's new
What's new

Laser Ablative Marking in SE Wisconsin?

Rick Finsta

Stainless
I am having trouble finding someone to mark black oxide coated (converted, whatever) steel parts with serial numbers and such. Nothing but trophy shops come up on Google and I've nearly exhausted my industry contacts. I am just north of Milwaukee, and with all the shops around someone has to do this.

I'm willing to ship for quality work but don't want to add a week lead time just for shipping if possible.

Couldn't find anyone with 4th axis capability to quote this work. Frustrating! Still open to ideas in case I win the bid contingent on finding a laser shop.

I am thinking maybe the right thing to do is go into the 4th axis laser business...

Strange that you have no answers.
Perhaps the word ablative in the title throws in a monkey wrench as it sounds like you need 4 axis laser engraving.
True ablation lasers are pico-seconds and way expensive and you don't need that.

Everyone and their brother has a flat unit, round tool makers have the rotary but these do small parts so how big?
10 inch swing is a problem and special.
I wonder if Ultra-Dex does contract engraving work. They build and sell a lot of these machines.
You are in the two day UPS window from here but often it happens in one day.

Do you really need the 4th? Numbers have to wrap around the OD?
I wonder what our member here Maritool has for doing such.
Bob

Hey M,

I can recommend member AARONT at Swift Mfg in Madison if you want to ship. We had a rush job that they took excellent care of us with. If you do not, I am planning to finalize our our plans to add laser here, and happy to help once we do.

Thanks for the pointer - yes it does have one feature that needs a 4th axis to put something on a 1-2" radius. I was ready to ship to the East Coast and back if someone would quote the work! LOL

You may already be well aware, but just in case you aren't, you can buy a Chinese fiber laser with rotary for about $4k. If it's a one time job or you aren't interested in Chinese machines, maybe not the way to go. I bought one earlier this year without the rotary and it hasn't blown up yet. :)

Ha! I was looking at used lasers today. I learned the "buy once, cry once" lesson quite some time ago so no way Id' buy a Chicom machine for something like this. I found that there are plenty of used "real" options out there for less than $20k if I'm serious.

One of my consulting customers right now is a guy who bought a couple Chicom machines and the lack of support and documentation is staggering. Without Google translate and a smartphone I don't know how he'd get along.

Back