What's new
What's new

Laser Cutter/Engraver Recommendations Needed

PeterF

Plastic
I'm a conventional job shop looking to purchase a combination machine that I can laser cut 1/8" Acrylic patterns and then also have the ability to rotary engrave with diamond bits. We do all our fit up with the Acrylic patterns and then have the finished panels water jet cut from .090" 2024, then powder coated with 2 layers of white and a single, colored topcoat. The powder-coated panels are then rotary engraved through the colored top layer to expose the white coating underneath.

Our table size requirement is around 4' x 6' and our budget is under $20,000. I looked on google for hours but it's useless, I need some help from people with experience. It would be worthwhile to also have this laser capable of cutting the .090 Aluminum panels but the most important part is the precision engraving and the ability to probe the surface and follow the irregularities so as to not engrave through the white layer. There are CNC routers out there that are used for this but I want the laser cutting ability for this particular job scope.

I really appreciate any advice on this, I'm so frustrated trying to find anything online.

Hi Peter. Been a couple years, but think you'd need 2 different lasers (ignoring the rotary engraving). Aluminum would likely need a fiber laser while acrylic would likely be CO2. Check out Coherent, Trumpf or Epilog. When I left, surface sensors were becoming more common.

Hi! I am interested in this topic too. I would like to carry out a project and it's one of my first attempt with alluminium laser cutting. Is there anything you should look out for?

Back