Laser cutting with compressed air your setup?
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Laser cutting with compressed air your setup?

Hello All!

It was mentioned to us that a fiber laser can run off compressed air with the right amount of filtration, tank and booster. Have any off you had a set up like this installed? We are looking to get away from Nitrogen bulks and this is an option but we would like to hear input from users that have experience with this.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would thing the maker of your machine would be the best place to get answers for this question. They know what the machine is capable of and what it takes to make it run.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have my 500 watt fiber laser running on compressed air since February. Basically using nitrogen settings. I don't have enough pressure to cut thicker than 1/8 inch steel but a 500 watt can't really cut thicker anyway unless you are running O2.. I've processed something like 40,000+ parts on it since switching. I make small pieces with lots of fine cutting including dozens of tiny rectangular holes, and little pegs that lock into those holes to make an assembly that is press crimped together and then laser welded.

Here is one part, there are 50 holes in the whole part, and 36 tabs on the front and back that all have to align. We make these things by the thousand, compressed air is a HUGE savings on parts like this.. A little 4'x4' sheet takes 2 hours to cut. For scale the part is 6" long and about 1 1/4" across.

I have seen a 10kw machine running a compressed air setup. It was a 1.6mpa compressor I think they called it a rotor compressor? It was cutting 3/8 aluminum with it.

Last edited by csspecs; 05-14-2020 at 09:25 PM.