Laser welder vs. TIG welder - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would recommend the Miller 350p if you decide to go the MIG route. I bought a 350p before Miller offered the 350p aluminum version, which cannot weld steel (according to Miller). I just added the push-pull gun to weld aluminum and still have the option to weld steel. I use the 350p when welding greater than 3/16" material. I recommend you get the 25' push-pull gun.

I would recommend the Dynasty 400 if you go the TIG route. Running the 400 on 3 phase increases the rated output by 25% ( 200amps vs 250amps at 100% duty cycle ). The Dynasty 400 is an incredible machine when it comes welding aluminum. I would recommend getting the wireless foot pedal as well. I thought that the wireless foot pedal was a waste of money.... till I got one, one less cord to get tangled. Welding aluminum takes a lot of amps so it is imperative that you get a machine with enough power.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all the input.

I got creative and struck an interesting bargain with our customer. We are going to weld-up the prototypes out of mild steel using the equipment we have. We feel we can explore form and function using this approach. Once past that phase, if they place the big order, we can then more than justify spending $10K+ on a machine and even consider buying two machines and bringing in people to help.

I was struggling with the idea of spending a bunch of cash without a guarantee of enough profit on the job to justify it. I do want to invest on dedicated machines (which makes complete sense). I think it's better this way. If the contract comes in, we go for it. If not, we made some money prototyping and we are done.

3. Likes LOTT liked this post