What's new
What's new

LEMPCO Press

rsoby

Plastic
I have a LEMPCO 40 ton Hydraulic press. The company went out of the business in the 40s or 50s, but there are still many of these around. I'm looking for a parts breakout or manual for this. Seems everyone who owns one of these - lost or does not have a manual. I need to repair the pump system and there are many (6) different hydraulic ports in it. Any info out there??

Brother, I thought I had the only 1 left in existence! Good luck with the manual- I'm looking for the same thing! Just rebuilt ours, & the guy who took it apart doesn't 'remember' what went where!
The cup seals are basic for the ram & low pressure(3 1/2" & 1 1/4"?), the 11/16" cup seal can be bought at Allegheny York, the only supplier I could find. I ended up making 1 out of a slug of 60D buna N I had in about 20 mins. Made the wipers under the retaining caps out of a 1/4" thick urethane sheet with a gasket cutter-just be careful on the sizes-you need it to compress to function right. Make the diameters snug. McMAster Carr haas all you need.
Problem is, after re-assembly with the guy who took it apart, it'll pump up to 2000 psi & lock up. Probably drain it & take it back apart in the next few days, as time permits, to fogure out what goes where. In the meantime, if you find a hydraulic schematic let me know! Thx

Well there is two in St Louis. I have a 50 ton LEMPCO.I use an Enerpac hand pump now because the pump failed a long time ago. The tag says to use LEMPCO Grade HO #3 Hydraulic press oil. Anyone know what is the best substitute oil to use?

Paul

Lempco is still in business in Cleveland, OH. I found this out when I was trying to do what you guys are doing with MY Lempco LATHE! :eek:

The thing is, they no longer are in the automotive parts and tooling business, now they make some sort of highly specialized punch dies that I don't even understand. :confused:

Anyway, maybe you will have better luck with old information out of the company since your presses are a LOT more recent than my lathe. Good luck to you.

the Green Frog **

There is a company out there for pump parts - http://www.blackhawkparts.com/homepage.html -these guys have the original rebuild packs for the pumps, leather gaskets, seals etc, but no tech diagrams - I got a kit from them - all parts but no instructions, diagrams, nada - I had to rebuild all the bolts on mine and the pins also - I had a bridge builder nearby and got bolts (5/8 x 10") and used 3/4 drill rod from Enco to redo the bed pins.

There is a hydraulic parts/rebuilding house in Bethel, CT called MBH Hydraulics (800) 845-5573. They have a 40 ton press that they say they have rebuilt several times. They said that Lempco never sold the press part of the business and simply scrapped the spare parts.
The blackhawk parts are only appicable to some press models. On my 60 ton machine the pump placard has a Lempco patent number which I assume means that it's their design. Anyway, MBH gave me a budget of between $125 and $400 for a rebuild depending on how far into it they need to go.

found the books

After a long search - I found the diagrams for the pump -
If your interested, drop me a line and I 'll send you copies

Rich

I have a 40ton press that says that I need to use blackhawk hydraulic oil only. Does anyone know what the substitute is, since it seems they are not in that end of the business these days.

I've got a 60 ton Lempco. I used to use plain old hydraulic oil in it. Worked fine that way for years. Now I've got an Enerpac electric pump on it with a remote switch. Unreal difference! Still have the old 2 stage pump if anyone is interested. It works good, just have to add oil occasionally.

Lempco 40 ton Press

Hi Rosby, I am interested in obtaining the manual for the Lempco 40 ton press. I am having trouble locating the manual and see on your post that you found it. Could you please forward the information about where I can download or purchase a manual??
Thanks!!

lempco 40 ton

After a long search - I found the diagrams for the pump -
If your interested, drop me a line and I 'll send you copies

Rich

I RAN IT PAST THE STOP SO i NEED A LOOK AT THE DRAWING TO SEE HOW TO GET OUT OF THIS MESS THANKS

I would be interested a diagram for a 60 Ton model 400A Just bought one that seems intact and working but needs to be disassembled and cleaned up Thanks JOHN email [email protected]

Back