What's new
What's new

Lets cut alittle more of that old horse Flow, intensifier or direct drive questions.

plutoniumsalmon

Hot Rolled
Hello.

We are in the market for our first waterjet. So far we are down to ward x with a 50hp icheon intensifier, Omax maxiem with a 40 hp direct drive maxiem pump, or a flow mach 200 where we can choose between a 50 hp direct drive or a 30 hp (I can probably haggle for a deal on the 50hp but am not sure) intensifier. Can you please give me your opinion on the 2 pumps from flow. Do you have experience with either? I know that previously it was between ward and maxiem, but today we got a decent quote on flow.

Thank you

Factor in rebuild parts kits and pump life between refresh for the various options. That will influence running costs, which should be a major factor in water jet purchase.

Hello we are trying to. Its hard to get an answer from anyone who does not have a horse in the race. Omax says their pump rebuild is 15 minutes while an intensifier is 4 hours. Hypertherm says pretty much the opposite. Flow is offering both and is kind of non committal to any answer.

Most likely they know running costs add up and don't want to advertise any price differences to other makers or say this part should last x hours.
In case it does not and you seek a warranty for it.
I have found with the techniwaterjet parts lasts varying times, the place i worked at logged everything in a book so they could keep track of things,

Seals for it took less than 2hours to replace both sides, but it was rare to do this, any lapping or grinding of seats took longer ( inlet seat ) outlet was replaceable.
Most of the time the OEM just replaced parts not repaired them like we did.

Charge out rate for cutting was at $3 aud a minute setup was charged at a different rate.

Hello we are trying to. Its hard to get an answer from anyone who does not have a horse in the race. Omax says their pump rebuild is 15 minutes while an intensifier is 4 hours. Hypertherm says pretty much the opposite. Flow is offering both and is kind of non committal to any answer.

Get names of existing customers and ask them. The guys running the machines should be the ones with the best answers as to running costs.

As long as they're not competitors of yours... :D

Most likely they know running costs add up and don't want to advertise any price differences to other makers or say this part should last x hours.
In case it does not and you seek a warranty for it.
I have found with the techniwaterjet parts lasts varying times, the place i worked at logged everything in a book so they could keep track of things,

Seals for it took less than 2hours to replace both sides, but it was rare to do this, any lapping or grinding of seats took longer ( inlet seat ) outlet was replaceable.
Most of the time the OEM just replaced parts not repaired them like we did.

Charge out rate for cutting was at $3 aud a minute setup was charged at a different rate.

Thats close to where we want to be as far as charging per minute.

Get names of existing customers and ask them. The guys running the machines should be the ones with the best answers as to running costs.

As long as they're not competitors of yours... :D

I guess technically anyone with a waterjet within a certain radius is a competitor as most of the work is not machine dependent. I will try to get names of customers.

Back