What's new
What's new

Looking for help

Gary novice

Plastic
Our manufacturing operation makes custom lighting which frequently requires custom lampshades. We fabricate the wire frames for the lampshades out of 1/8- 3/16" steel rod which we bend and weld. One of our mechanics used the welder attached to our DoAll band saw (used to weld blades) which wwelded well- fast and easy but was awkward- mounted on the machine and designed for flat stock not round wire. He wondered if anyone makes a small welder similar to this but ideally desk top mounted and with clamps for round versus flat.

All the flash welders i have seen have had special made platten's on them to suit the job. Maybe you could modify yours. Like welding together a grocery cart or an oven rack, the platten's would have grooves to suit the wire size then they are all zapped at once welding the entire unit...Bob

All you would need is a spot welder. They use copper electrodes which you could notch easily enough for your application.
Harbor Freight sells a cheapo version but I'm sure there are a lot of others out there. I used a hand held model years ago to spot weld repair panels of stainless to steel side posts on Fruehauf semi trailers.

theres a home made spot welder described on the machinists forum, somthing like what tools have you made, looks ideal for wirework, cheap and simple transformer mod
regards
mark

Back