What's new
What's new

Looking to purchase a new cold saw

SUNDERMANTUBE

Plastic
All we are looking to purchase a new cold saw for our shop. We cut mainly tubing .25 inch wall thickness or less. Saw will run 4 - 6 hours per day on average. We are looking at a vertical down cut instead of your standard cut. We are also looking at the power down feed options as well instead of the manual to reduce operator error. Let me know your thoughts and recommendations.

Thanks

Scotchman with centering vise and a tiger stop. 4-6 hours translates to what in part count? Cut to cut with that saw is 3 to 7 seconds depending on length.

Reason I asked part length is because after all the debate on which saw to buy... We chose to buy a Haas lathe with a 3" bore and it only parts off material

Usually can deburr one end whiles you're at it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Eisele,
Semi auto, 11", or 14", depends on material size.
I have two and they are excellent.
For any saw be careful of small offcuts jamming under the blade. It has happened twice for me and both times the blade broke. Once on my 11" and once on my 16" and that one costs $400.
The first time I didn't realize the offcut had got stuck in the table throat, the second time the small offcut jumped behind the blade and jammed as the blade continued downward.

Other than that you will love these saws.

I cut all kinds of material from round bar to pipe and rectangular tubing and it is lots of one-off jobs so the quick setup is very handy with very accurate mitring.

I just unloaded my KMT auto down feed for cheap. Had original blade on it and it was still sharp. Just could not fit it in to my operation.
But getting a full auto really is a great way to cut.

I just unloaded my KMT auto down feed for cheap. Had original blade on it and it was still sharp. Just
could not fit it in to my operation.
But getting a full auto really is a great way to cut.

How many parts did you cut on it? I get about 3000 cuts per blade before sharpening. The saw runs about 10 hours most weeks which is a blade a week.
I still like the centering vise on scotchman, makes miters and cut list stupid easy. I might change recommendation to a vertical band saw with semi auto stop. verticals are faster cleaner squarer/better miters quieter and cut bigger or smaller. Down size is footprint.
And never ever, like ever, cut bundles.

Go fully auto

you will not regret it.

Replaces a man

There is a reason steel processors only run semi auto. The fully auto saw systems are stupid slow. We process for 4 steel supply/processing centers. I think you are looking at 1 semi auto or 5 fully automated systems. And the automated ones are constantly mediocre on accuracy/squareness. A real saw operator is better, speed feed, chatter, coolant placement for each size stock, guide adjustment to harmonics. If you are doing a hundred parts a day a jet horizontal would do you find, a automated voortman maybe, a scotchman tiger stop you have a hundred mitered parts in less than an hour. A saw blade is a 16 foot end mill than is .042 inches thick. Very unforgiving, haas tried to make a saw and tapped out after untold over budget problems in rd, tormach spent years to give an ok ish saw, voortmans 400000 dollar automated system is 100 parts max per day. There is a lot more to it than clamping some stock to a tape line.

I don't know how anything can be slower than doing it manually

I don't know about steel processors, but when you don't have to stand there it is cheaper to run. if it isn't square, it isn't the 2000lb saws fault.

Manual machinists make nice parts too, but just not enough of them to pay the bills

There is a reason steel processors only run semi auto. The fully auto saw systems are stupid slow. We process for 4 steel supply/processing centers. I think you are looking at 1 semi auto or 5 fully automated systems. And the automated ones are constantly mediocre on accuracy/squareness. A real saw operator is better, speed feed, chatter, coolant placement for each size stock, guide adjustment to harmonics. If you are doing a hundred parts a day a jet horizontal would do you find, a automated voortman maybe, a scotchman tiger stop you have a hundred mitered parts in less than an hour. A saw blade is a 16 foot end mill than is .042 inches thick. Very unforgiving, haas tried to make a saw and tapped out after untold over budget problems in rd, tormach spent years to give an ok ish saw, voortmans 400000 dollar automated system is 100 parts max per day. There is a lot more to it than clamping some stock to a tape line.

How are the automated cold saws only getting 100 parts a day? Repositioning between cuts can't be taking that long, can it? If you're not running a bar feeder, the bar load time should be about the same between semi-auto and auto. My knowledge of such things is very limited, however. I've only seen the extremes of the budget range: an ancient hydraulic automatic horizontal bandsaw and the very expensive AME systems.

AMSAW S150 Carbide Saw by AME - YouTube

The bar loading with a person is done on the last cut, the saw measuring system retreat gives just enough time to remove drop and position new stick good-nuff for the sms to catch it. Tiger straps have vises on the end to hold the material. Positioning is 2500 to 3000 ipm, I can hit the foot pedal as the final seek is happening and the vises auto close and head starts movement and cutting. As soon as the cut is finished I hit advance on the stop and the lag time between that and head up is about perfect on 1.5 pipe (1.875 od). As stop moves forward I can grab part, pedal down, enter length for next part if different, and stack / mark part.
The fully auto saw without auto bunk we have is brand new pedinghause/mebA band saw with the shuttle vise positioning. It has to run stupid slow feed rate in auto because it can not adjust cutting on the fly, each stick needs fully programmed, all switch miters need trim removed and interaction with control between cuts if this happens. This is saw is well over six figures. The shuttle vises also slip (material moves slower than vice). - you can not program an extra 1/16 per 20’, or change counts per inch because you do not know when slip is going to happen. So you need to watch the material positioning and vice slip... this is wasted time human time.
Automated bunks like voortman... money and as I sit here and hit ok 4 times per part (eight axis coper) and comparing it to controlled autos manual feed bunk I can outrun the coper 5 to one on mid size beams - with a saw.
Fully automated saws can work for one part, then a cam system can do that. The part unload/stack/marking and loading new bar is still human at the saw. An operator will also have feed dynamically changing in the part.
I go thru bundles of 64 pipe and tube, most jobs have less than 30 repeated parts, automating can be done for an extreme cost and you would need a custom solution. Saw companies for the most part now do things that sell- not work. Only when you talk geek with blade engineers and saw engineers all the weird problems of a lights out saw come to life.
Yes, you need automated vises, powered feed (a lot of power, a blade wants to cut), and a nc stop/feeder. Motorized head swing is really nice. Integrating all of it together is a holey grail of saws. I wish foot pedals came on all saws.
Again, cutting hundred parts a few hundred pounds almost anything will work. Moving to thousands and tons which is more op operation if they have full time saw guy then every second, ergonomics, and speed to enter/program starts to count. This is when semi auto is still better than auto. Cold saws are handy and don’t take they finesse of band saw, I like water cooled abrasives for the same reason. Band saws are faster though.

The self centering vise and tigerstop on the scotchman was an exponential shift in production. Dollar for dollar hard to beat for small stock and mentally non challenging on cut- you can use brain to work on ergonomics and speed- now I just normally dance head bob at it because I move as fast as low hanging adjustments will take me.

How many parts did you cut on it? I get about 3000 cuts per blade before sharpening. The saw runs about 10 hours most weeks which is a blade a week.
I still like the centering vise on scotchman, makes miters and cut list stupid easy. I might change recommendation to a vertical band saw with semi auto stop. verticals are faster cleaner squarer/better miters quieter and cut bigger or smaller. Down size is footprint.
And never ever, like ever, cut bundles.

Maybe 30 parts total over the 2 years it was taking up space.

The bar loading with a person is done on the last cut, the saw measuring system retreat gives just enough time to remove drop and position new stick good-nuff for the sms to catch it. Tiger straps have vises on the end to hold the material. Positioning is 2500 to 3000 ipm, I can hit the foot pedal as the final seek is happening and the vises auto close and head starts movement and cutting. As soon as the cut is finished I hit advance on the stop and the lag time between that and head up is about perfect on 1.5 pipe (1.875 od). As stop moves forward I can grab part, pedal down, enter length for next part if different, and stack / mark part.
The fully auto saw without auto bunk we have is brand new pedinghause/mebA band saw with the shuttle vise positioning. It has to run stupid slow feed rate in auto because it can not adjust cutting on the fly, each stick needs fully programmed, all switch miters need trim removed and interaction with control between cuts if this happens. This is saw is well over six figures. The shuttle vises also slip (material moves slower than vice). - you can not program an extra 1/16 per 20’, or change counts per inch because you do not know when slip is going to happen. So you need to watch the material positioning and vice slip... this is wasted time human time.
Automated bunks like voortman... money and as I sit here and hit ok 4 times per part (eight axis coper) and comparing it to controlled autos manual feed bunk I can outrun the coper 5 to one on mid size beams - with a saw.
Fully automated saws can work for one part, then a cam system can do that. The part unload/stack/marking and loading new bar is still human at the saw. An operator will also have feed dynamically changing in the part.
I go thru bundles of 64 pipe and tube, most jobs have less than 30 repeated parts, automating can be done for an extreme cost and you would need a custom solution. Saw companies for the most part now do things that sell- not work. Only when you talk geek with blade engineers and saw engineers all the weird problems of a lights out saw come to life.
Yes, you need automated vises, powered feed (a lot of power, a blade wants to cut), and a nc stop/feeder. Motorized head swing is really nice. Integrating all of it together is a holey grail of saws. I wish foot pedals came on all saws.
Again, cutting hundred parts a few hundred pounds almost anything will work. Moving to thousands and tons which is more op operation if they have full time saw guy then every second, ergonomics, and speed to enter/program starts to count. This is when semi auto is still better than auto. Cold saws are handy and don’t take they finesse of band saw, I like water cooled abrasives for the same reason. Band saws are faster though.

The self centering vise and tigerstop on the scotchman was an exponential shift in production. Dollar for dollar hard to beat for small stock and mentally non challenging on cut- you can use brain to work on ergonomics and speed- now I just normally dance head bob at it because I move as fast as low hanging adjustments will take me.

Thanks. A few follow up questions:

What's an sms, and what's a bunk?

Am I understanding that you're coping an I-beam with the saw?

No, coper is plasma so it should outrun a drill saw random machine by a lot. The fully automated machine is just slower. To many bells and whistles is not always the best option.
SMS is saw measuring system: Tiger stop, razer, Kentucky, controlled automation, etc. the shuttle vises on horizontals also count (but shouldn’t imo)
Thanks scruffy, I needed to clean phone with coffee.

Back