What's new
What's new

Made your own electric grill? After 3 imports ones I want to make one.

rons

Diamond
The Sanyo grills sage in the center and the connections corrode from too much current.
They are designed to wear out shortly after the manufac. warranty expires.

Has anyone milled out a pattern in solid material and strapped calrod or something to heat the plate?
Or maybe use stainless bars with 1/4" spacing? Not sure just yet how I would heat the bar. The preliminary
study shows that I start with 120Vac and connect that to something, which is connected to the stainless
cooking grid.

If you did this, what material?

I have some used calrod heat elements. Can they be bent? They could be strapped to the underside of a nicely
milled out grill. The Sanyo grill has what looks like a calrod element that snakes it's way around the grill
bottom. I should not have thrown out grills 1 & 2, could have salvaged the calrods.

I understand that calrods can be bent to shape, gentle factory type curves. But only one time and never after getting hot. How do you think they bend them at the factory.
Bill D

WTF is an electric grill good for? Calrods are good for starting charcoal grills if you have one of those. We use a chimney thingy with newspaper to start ours. Otherwise MAN was put on earth to cook outside with FIRE. With a beer in his hand. Sorry, electric grill sounds like a whole lot of bad food. Oh, don't forget to use Free Range Charcoal.

I have a stainless electric frying pan made by farberware, its a fairly heavy duty thing from the 80s. The kind of thing you would see in a thrift store and think nothing of it. I have used it to cook just about everything, and heats up really fast. It just has a cal type rod under a stainless pan, with a dial that goes from 150 degrees to 450.

The oven is electric, does that make food taste shitty? heat is heat...

WTF is an electric grill good for? Calrods are good for starting charcoal grills if you have one of those. We use a chimney thingy with newspaper to start ours. Otherwise MAN was put on earth to cook outside with FIRE. With a beer in his hand. Sorry, electric grill sounds like a whole lot of bad food. Oh, don't forget to use Free Range Charcoal.

I stopped the charcoal stuff years ago/ To much trouble. A grill with a tray underneath is going to work but not allow those tasty bits
of burnt wood to flavor your roasted carrots.

Have you checked with the fine folks over at "Presto" ?

Looks like everything is imported now, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

A grill that heats up and cools like a Metcal soldering iron. And it should have stainless rods for the grill. What grade?

If I could get stainless rods with a R value that is high enough to heat the metal when AC is applied across an array of 3/8 diameter rods 24" long.
No chance about the R value being high. What about a high RF generator that safely skin-effects the heck out of the metal grill.
Stuff won't taste as good as charcoal grill but I'm after a grill for outdoor use with no smoke.

The import grills are cast alum with a heating element. Then there is a coating on the Alum that probably gets burnt off.

Cheap approach not muck better than the imports:
Mill out slots in a Alum slab. Then routing out a path for a heating element on the underside of the slab.

A grill that heats up and cools like a Metcal soldering iron. And it should have stainless rods for the grill. What grade?

If I could get stainless rods with a R value that is high enough to heat the metal when AC is applied across an array of 3/8 diameter rods 24" long.
No chance about the R value being high. What about a high RF generator that safely skin-effects the heck out of the metal grill.
Stuff won't taste as good as charcoal grill but I'm after a grill for outdoor use with no smoke.

The import grills are cast alum with a heating element. Then there is a coating on the Alum that probably gets burnt off.

Cheap approach not muck better than the imports:
Mill out slots in a Alum slab. Then routing out a path for a heating element on the underside of the slab.
How about ditching the slab altogether, and using the calrods as the grilling bars ?

Or, following the presto hot dog cooker, having no heating elements, place stainlees bars maybe 1" apart, insulated from grill body, put 120 vac on the bars, have the shut off power when using tongs/spatula.

When you say "grill" do you actually mean a grill or an electric griddle. There are several manufacturers of 220v griddles the size of a stovetop for commercial use.

There are also heavy duty electric grills such as this counter top model, but as you can see from the price they aren't cheap.

E2412 EmberGlo - Char-Broiler, Electric, counter model, 12" wide | JES

I wouldn't that used models are available at much lower price as restaurants many times change their equipment as their needs change.

When you say "grill" do you actually mean a grill or an electric griddle. There are several manufacturers of 220v griddles the size of a stovetop for commercial use.

There are also heavy duty electric grills such as this counter top model, but as you can see from the price they aren't cheap.

E2412 EmberGlo - Char-Broiler, Electric, counter model, 12" wide | JES

I wouldn't that used models are available at much lower price as restaurants many times change their equipment as their needs change.

OOOH....It'a available in 3-phase....:D

I prefer a vintage General Electric Grill/Wafflebaker. Lest you think I don't know how to spell, see:

wafflebaker.jpg

Mine isn't quite as fast as the George Foreman it replaced. But it works flawlessly and it makes waffles!

Plus, its shell is chrome plated steel. Find that nowadays! And, they go for peanuts on ebay.

metalmagpie

Back