What's new
What's new

Magnum SG Spool Gun -- conversion?

DMoneyAllstar

Plastic
So I inherited a Magnum SG spool gun from work (closing our weld shop). But there is no controller to go with it. It's got the old school rectangular plug with 4 pins on inside and 2 on outside (see pic). Only want to use it for some basic/quick aluminum tacking and on aluminum that may not be as clean as my tig prefers. Would hate to see it just go to waste. Came with 6 rolls of alum wire, too, brand new in the package.

- What do I need to get this thing running again?

- Am I REQUIRED to use the Magnum SG controller box? Or can I hack into the backdoor with some custom controls? Frankenstein is not a problem as long as it doesn't kill me. Just a matter of getting gas delay and wire feed speed controlled.

- Can I make this work on non-Lincoln welders?

Thanks!

DJ

Capture.JPG

1. What are you trying to hook it up to ?
2. Download the schematic for the pinout from Lincoln, post here.
3. Post schematic for intended welding machine to hook to.

Will be either a Millermatic 210 or a Hobart Ironman 210. Both have a 4-pin port for spool gun.

I found a PDF user manual for the Magnum SG gun, but not accessible at the moment.

Talked some more with people familiar with the dinosaur of a welder this gun was used on. Came off of a big 480v Lincoln Idealarc SP200. There was an outlet in the spool bay of the welder right under the unit's main wire feeder. You'd remove the regular mig gun's plug and then plug in the spool gun when in use (plus the big lug & gas line). It's 4-pin with black, red, green and white wire. I'm guessing this constitutes a ground, trigger, feed and gas solenoid (?). Will have to dig around more.

Here is the diagram of the SP200 dinosaur I found on the web. Doesn't give me much to work with -- pretty high level.

sp200.jpg

I have one of those for my SP-200, used it once or twice many years ago, I could stick stuff together, but it was not pretty. Good chance I was doing things wrong, "internet" was still new and youtube U had not even been thought of yet. If you can get it to work well, tell me how you did it!

Found some more info. Now I need a date-night with my Fluke to do the same research on my welders.

I also discovered I've got the female end of the 4-pin connector/wire in my box of spool gun stuff. Nice surprise!

Capture13.jpg

Capture12.JPG

Capture11.JPG

Back