What's new
What's new

Making downdraft table for welding and grinding?

Excellrec

Plastic
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a couple langmuir arc flat tables and trying to determine wether I'll need to get a separate downdraft table for grinding. I'd like to enclose the bottom of these tables and get downdraft fume extraction happening. Wondering if the same system could be setup for grinding and welding so I can just work at one table and save time and space? I dont see this discussed, so maybe I'm missing an obvious nogo aspect to a grinding and welding downdraft table?

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a couple langmuir arc flat tables and trying to determine wether I'll need to get a separate downdraft table for grinding. I'd like to enclose the bottom of these tables and get downdraft fume extraction happening. Wondering if the same system could be setup for grinding and welding so I can just work at one table and save time and space? I dont see this discussed, so maybe I'm missing an obvious nogo aspect to a grinding and welding downdraft table?

I would get a separate table.

Grinding involves rolling the piece over, and grinding various areas.

Those Langmuir tables are accurate, and I would not want to mess them up.

I have some deburring stations mounted to a 10' dualdraw downdraft table that works great, sometimes I have a need to use a 6x72 horizontal belt grinder graining some aluminum parts. I found after putting in a window that with the morning sun shows the huge amount of airborn material coming off the belt grinder, it's a huge ugly amount of aluminum dist in the air, anyhow even though the dualdraw bench is over 4 feet away if I turn it on it takes what looks like all of that material out of the air, I would think if you could roll the grinding bench close to the downdraft table with some kind of door between the two

Hmm, maybe I can use the welding downdraft for some light grinding (e.g. grinding off tack welds) and then switch to a dedicated setup for heavy grinding. There are a lot of cheap beat blasting cabinets for sale on facebook. I'm thinking of cutting the front out of one of those. If it's got a reclaim vac setup I'd think with little to no modification itd work pretty well for grinding.

Back