What's new
What's new

Making Press Brake Dies

j c

Aluminum
I'm new to milling but I'm trying to make my own press brake dies. Does anyone have any tips? The angle is 135 degree, about 8 inches long. I'm milling them on the Bridgeport.

I was thinking to mount the Kurt vise sideways on the bridgeport so I can use the Y axis and rotate the head instead of nodding it. The slots don't line up to the vise though. Do I use one of the T-slots on the front of the table? What cutter would you use for a good surface finish in 4140? Also, it would be easier to use the end of the endmill instead of the side I think, since I wouldn't have to rotate the head so far. But can I get a good surface finish that way? Sorry for the basic questions.

I'm new to milling but I'm trying to make my own press brake dies. Does anyone have any tips? The angle is 135 degree, about 8 inches long. I'm milling them on the Bridgeport.

I was thinking to mount the Kurt vise sideways on the bridgeport so I can use the Y axis and rotate the head instead of nodding it. The slots don't line up to the vise though. Do I use one of the T-slots on the front of the table? What cutter would you use for a good surface finish in 4140? Also, it would be easier to use the end of the endmill instead of the side I think, since I wouldn't have to rotate the head so far. But can I get a good surface finish that way? Sorry for the basic questions.

Buy an adjustable angle/sine plate big enough to hold the work, then use a face mill or flycutter to machine your dies........or you could side mill them with a regular endmill.

Kevin

I can see how the table is easier than tilting or nodding the head. But they are expensive. What about an angle vise? I'm thinking for now I will nod the head and use the vise in the normal orientation. I have a 6 flute end mill that I hope can get a smooth finish from the end.

Why would you make 135 degree dies? A 85 degree would be more useful, as it would bend a 90.

Back