What's new
What's new

Mechanical press brake motor sizing?

Garwood

Diamond
I just picked up a WWII era Verson press brake. 54 inch bed and has 22 ton hand written on it. It's been beaten and abused like all old press brakes, but it works and it was cheap.

I'd like to put this thing on casters and make it 120V so I can plug it in wherever I want. I have a single phase motor perfect to replace the ram height control motor, but the main motor is 3HP which surprised me because I looked at a similar, slightly newer press and it only had a 1/2HP main motor.

The 3HP motor is pretty new so I'm wondering if it was up-sized from what this should have had?

I have almost 100 new 1750 3/4HP motors so it would be convenient if it could be run with 3/4HP.

The flywheel should be doing most of the work, motor is just to get it up to speed. Bigger motor will get there faster without burnout. Would a small softstart on it help with small HP motor life?

Go over to HGR and see if you can do some research by looking at the pics of brakes. I looked at this one for you and it has a 3/4HP motor but is a smaller unit.

Used Machinery & Industrial Equipment | HGR Industrial Surplus

I'd think 3hp sounds right. My 90 ton mechanical has a huge (size wise) old 10hp motor. My mechanical ironworker has a 5hp motor....large flywheels on both of course.

edit: link didn't work but it was the small 48" brake

Back