What's new
What's new

Miller Dynasty Vs. Lincoln Aspect

LKeithR

Stainless
A buddy of ours is shopping for a more powerful welder. He has a Dynasty 210 which works well but he's
running into jobs that need more amperage. He has actually ordered a Dynasty 400 from our local welding
supplier but they're telling him that there isn't a single unit available anywhere in North America. Apparently
the welders are assembled in the States but most of the components come from China and, with the Corona
virus scare, there is no product coming in to North America.

Consequently he's started looking at the new Lincoln Aspect welders to see if one might work for him. Right
now the info he's getting seems to fall more or less along the lines of brand loyalty; if you like Lincoln welders
you think they're OK but if you like Miller then the Lincolns just aren't as good. Does anybody here have any
direct experience with the Lincoln Aspect 375? Are they inferior to the Dynasty welders and, if so, why?

You would tink....the Chinese components would be the same in the Lincoln.

What is Lincoln saying about delivery/stock ?

You should call people and see if anyone has 1 in stock. Keen gas here in wilmington DE is a very large supplier around. They may have 1.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

From a quick look at the specs, they are both equal machines. Same duty cycle at the same output 60% at 300 amps. That was the same for a 350 and 400 dynasty as well.
I used to run a 350 dynasty all day. I had no complaints and it was a godsend for welding anything on AC.
I can only imagine the lincoln would be about the same. The manuals read about the same online, just seems like a difference in menus and buttons but you get the same effect.

As for the Red/Blue thing...
TIG is TIG for the most part, leaving out the inverter vs transformer debate. Every machine has its quirks but as long as they strike an arc, anyone that can use one or the other should be able to make it work. The biggest learning curve is going from AC on a transformer to AC on an inverter. Pulse is next, and past that its just learning which buttons to push in what order. Get some scrap and play around.

MIGs are a different story...

I am located in northern California, there appears to be no problem with inventory of Dynasty 400 at Miller on the west coast.
That said I have operated various models of Miller and Lincoln inverters both C.V. and C.C. and with inverters they pretty much work the same.
And yes there are slight differences but over all it comes down to your favorite color.

I used to work at Honda the R&D fab shop here in Marysville. All Miller shop, I used a Dynasty 350 with the wireless foot control all the time. Awesome welder, would love to have one. The only thing that sucked about it is the on/off switch is in the back, WTF? I have been doing a lot of work lately at a sports car team with a Lincoln sponsorship. I have a welding bench in my area with a new Precision Tig 375 beside it and another bench with a new Aspect 375 beside it. I use whichever one I want. I keep the Precision Tig set up for steel most of the time and the Aspect set up for aluminum. Likes, instant full heat when welding alumimum, hit the pedal and weld instantly. Very smooth arc, pleasant to use. Dislikes, very noisy, the Dynasty and Precision Tig are silent in comparison, you need to have your amps set pretty close before you start, welding, on .030/.040 aluminum if you are a bit high on your amps you will blow a hole in your work instantly as it starts pretty violently. The Precision Tig and Dynasty both start nicer, you can start your arc and ramp into your weld smoothly.

Good practical hands on stuff there from moonlight. Thanks.

To the op, there is a lot to be learned right now about supply chain and logistics with the COVID 19 pandemic (yup, just wait, two more weeks and the WHO will have to call it). Did your friend put down a deposit? There may be no readily available units upstream in the distribution pipeline and thus the dealer says “ not a single unit”, but there could still be dozens allready at other Retail locations. Your LWS isn’t generally going to be able to access the inventory of another shop, so call around.

If Ive learned one thing, it’s never take the word of a welding supply house as anything but possible, but more probably...bullshit!

A buddy of ours is shopping for a more powerful welder. He has a Dynasty 210 which works well but he's
running into jobs that need more amperage. He has actually ordered a Dynasty 400 from our local welding
supplier but they're telling him that there isn't a single unit available anywhere in North America. Apparently
the welders are assembled in the States but most of the components come from China and, with the Corona
virus scare, there is no product coming in to North America.

Consequently he's started looking at the new Lincoln Aspect welders to see if one might work for him. Right
now the info he's getting seems to fall more or less along the lines of brand loyalty; if you like Lincoln welders
you think they're OK but if you like Miller then the Lincolns just aren't as good. Does anybody here have any
direct experience with the Lincoln Aspect 375? Are they inferior to the Dynasty welders and, if so, why?

How about a 350P? or a multiprocess welder in the 300A range? even a used 455

Does anybody here have any direct experience with the Lincoln Aspect 375? Are they inferior to the Dynasty welders and, if so, why?

I have been to three suppliers in my area. Each had a demo room and it was not to much trouble to demo a machine I was considering.
I think your friend should demo a few machines first and not let the eating habits of foreigners affect his decision.

I've used both along with a Dynasty 210dx, primarily for welding many feet of thin-ish (.040-.090") aluminum butt joints. They were both perfectly capable welders. I second Moonlight, the cooling fan on the Aspect is noticeably louder than the Dynasty. The Aspect eventually developed a quirk where the pedal had to be pressed twice to strike an arc, but I'm assuming it was someone else messing with settings accidentally turned that on.

I found the Miller was easier to setup and tune advanced arc settings (pulser, waveform, frequency, etc). But the Aspect was the first inverter I ever used, maybe going back I'd find it easier and more intuitive.

I don't know if Lincoln has a wireless footpedal. This feature alone on the Miller would do it for me; both the Miller and Lincoln footpedals have pretty flimsy wires that will not survive the floor of a fab shop for long. The wireless pedal works flawlessly and will pay for itself in saved downtime alone, nevermind the improved convenience of not having a wire.

Our Dynasty 400 lost a logic board once, but was covered under warranty.

Can't go wrong with either, but I preferred the Miller.

well if you already know the miller system
not much learning the control settings.

local welding store guy told me to just buy it on line
they couldn't come close to what places like cyberweld sell them for.
they make their money on the consumables you buy not selling machines

I own a Dynasty 200, and have ran bigger Dynasty machines, as well as a lot of various Lincoln TIG machines. I don't really like a Lincoln TIG welders, they seem to have a lot of little issues with ergonomics, layout and design and UI. They both will weld fine, probably be just dandy with either one. Lincoln's stick welders are top notch, really nice welders, but I just can't get behind the TIG machines.

I have experienced the same issues that Moonlight has had, and I really don't care for inverter Lincoln's arc starts. They seem to start high and then drop down to where your pedal is, but by then you've popped a hole in the thin metal you're welding.

Lincoln's foot pedals SUCK. Especially if you are used to Miller.

Lincoln seems to have a lot more marketing wank and appears to really be pushing their stuff on social media and youtube. Seems like they'll give anyone who has a youtube channel some free welders and it really kind of speaks to their target market. Miller seems to have a more professional oriented attitude.

I see very few Aspect machines compared to Dynasty machines, whatever that means.

If it was my money, I'd get the Miller. I have had no issues with my Miller equipment that wasn't my fault. But if you really like red, they do make nice pro grade gear. Probably would work great for you.

I've used both along with a Dynasty 210dx, primarily for welding many feet of thin-ish (.040-.090") aluminum butt joints. They were both perfectly capable welders. I second Moonlight, the cooling fan on the Aspect is noticeably louder than the Dynasty. The Aspect eventually developed a quirk where the pedal had to be pressed twice to strike an arc, but I'm assuming it was someone else messing with settings accidentally turned that on.

I found the Miller was easier to setup and tune advanced arc settings (pulser, waveform, frequency, etc). But the Aspect was the first inverter I ever used, maybe going back I'd find it easier and more intuitive.

I don't know if Lincoln has a wireless footpedal. This feature alone on the Miller would do it for me; both the Miller and Lincoln footpedals have pretty flimsy wires that will not survive the floor of a fab shop for long. The wireless pedal works flawlessly and will pay for itself in saved downtime alone, nevermind the improved convenience of not having a wire.

Our Dynasty 400 lost a logic board once, but was covered under warranty.

Can't go wrong with either, but I preferred the Miller.

I can't wait till they come out with a wireless ground!

i've been a welder for over a decade before i switched to machining, with extensive tig and mig experience. IMO miller>lincoln when it comes to tig machines, and lincoln>miller when it comes to mig.

and yes, aspect machines are UNGODLY loud.

Back