What's new
What's new

Miller Synchrowave 180 SD polarity switch problem

castman495

Plastic
I am having problems with the polarity switch on my Miller Synchrowave 180 SD welder. It works fine in DCEN but when I change position to AC it doesn't seem to engage completely and is difficult to turn. Same with trying to go to DCEP I almost need two hands. It still seems to weld OK in those positions, but it doesn't feel right. I called a local Miller dealer and got a replacement cost of right at $500. At that price,I guess I can live with the difficulty but would first try to repair the switch. Has anyone had the front panel off and is accessibility an issue? Would hate it to get inside the welder and find something I probably shouldn't mess with. Looking at the diagram in the owners manual it looks like a pretty straight forward removal, but nothing about the internal switch workings. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
Castman495

I have a Miller 200 Syncrowave TIG. The polarity control on this machine, bought near new, has always been very stiff. I suppose that one could disassemble the machine and lubricate the contacts with something like a dielectric paste.

In my case, I almost never use DCEP so my changes are from DCEN to AC and not all that often so I just live with it.

$500 for a new switch that you have to install yourself? That'll be the day. LOL. :willy_nilly:

Back