What's new
What's new

Miller syncrowave 210 and multimatic 220 questions

lalojamesliz

Plastic
Hello everyone

My son and I would like to purchase a tig welder. I just sold my hobart 140 to help fund the new machine.
I have wanted to weld stainless a few times but didn't because I only had 75/25 gas so I just asked a friend to weld the items for me. I have needed aluminum welded several times and had to ask a friend or go to a shop and pay. I want to be able to weld anything in my garage now.

I have projects with aluminum and stainless steel exhaust already waiting in line but first I need a tig welder to practice and practice then a little more practice before I attempt to work on my projects.

I'm no professional by any means but my son and I want to start learning how to tig weld and we didn't want to spend more than 3k. We want a quality machine and want to stay away from Chinese machines. I've seen they have good reviews but we'll be happier with a miller.

We're looking at the millermatic 220 and syncrowave 210 with the spool gun. I saw the syncrowave is more of a tig welder and before I placed the order at cyberweld I started seeing reviews of the main board issues. That worries me because I don't want it self desucting right after the 3 year warranty period.

Then I saw the millermatic has a poor duty cycle and it only goes down to 20 amps on tig while the syncrowave can drop to 5 amps. I plan to weld some sheetmetal in the future and other thin material so this worries me a little.

The syncrowave has a inverter power supply and is more efficient right?

I've been researching since Tuesday and can't decide. I've been working around my house also though.
Once I get a little comfortable I'll practice with my son.

I didn't consider a Lincoln multiprocess because I read they overheat easily.

Has anyone here had experience or own one of these miller's?

I can't find a used dynasty in my price range so yeah :(

My personal welder is the multimatic. I have only used it on 220 once, run it from invertor off my car without issue. smooth welding, packs a punch with small wire. I have the spool gun option for bronze, stainless, and al. Couldn't ask more from a little welder. Haven't used the tig much, it is a tiny tig with lift start- so not much great or bad with it.
I would not expect it to push flux core wire with straight co2, but for sub 1/2 stock I almost like it better than the big work welders.

Back