What's new
What's new

Miller Syncrowave 250 Repairs

rimcanyon

Diamond
My Miller Syncrowave 250 is still welding, but it has some problems:

1. the gas does not shut off, so I have to manually turn it on and off when welding.
2. the HF is intermittent, i.e. sometimes it works great, other times it doesn't, and I have to scratch start an arc.

I've owned the machine about 25 years, and it has never been serviced (other than setting the gaps), so it probably just needs someone to go through it and check all the settings and fix problems.

Is there a company in central CA that will overhaul this machine and put it back into prime condition?

Dave

If you can't find anyone up there, I've used Augie at Arco Welder Repair multiple times, always happy with the service and the price. He may come to you. They're in Santa Fe Springs, Calif.

There are three shops local to me that repair welders, I have to imagine there are way more in your area. What pedal do you have, the old school all metal unit?

There are three shops local to me that repair welders, I have to imagine there are way more in your area. What pedal do you have, the old school all metal unit?

I'd think so too, especially with all the welders in the area (agriculture fab & repair is big business locally), but I don't know of any. All the welding supply stores are branches of big corporations, all of them can send the machine out for big bucks...

Yes, I have the big clunky Miller foot pedal that is always awkward to use. I've been thinking of replacing it with something that has a lower footprint, since I do a lot of welding sittting down on a stool and I am always fighting the foot pedal.

If I interpret your question right, the foot pedal might be a cause of the high frequency intermittent problem. That makes sense. I've noticed that sometimes the HF starts just from putting my foot on the pedal, just touching it really.

I'd try these guys in Sea Side: Welding Repair - Peninsula Welding and Medical Supply
Miller authorized for warranties. They did warranty work on my 350P a few years ago and seemed like they new what they're doing.

Peninsula Welding is a great store, I have been a customer for 40 years, but never knew they repaired welders. I will give them a call and see if they will do it. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'd think so too, especially with all the welders in the area (agriculture fab & repair is big business locally), but I don't know of any. All the welding supply stores are branches of big corporations, all of them can send the machine out for big bucks...

Yes, I have the big clunky Miller foot pedal that is always awkward to use. I've been thinking of replacing it with something that has a lower footprint, since I do a lot of welding sittting down on a stool and I am always fighting the foot pedal.

If I interpret your question right, the foot pedal might be a cause of the high frequency intermittent problem. That makes sense. I've noticed that sometimes the HF starts just from putting my foot on the pedal, just touching it really.

I had an old school pedal get funky inside where if I picked it up by the pedal it would shut off... then I would just drop it like 3 inches and it would work again for a while. Worth checking out.

On the foot pedal subject I converted my Syncrowave 500s to use a modern Miller pedal, pretty easy, just made a pigtail with the right connectors and wire pin outs. It's really nice to all of the welders using the same pedal, always a spare and consistent under your foot from welder to welder.

Back