What's new
What's new

Miller syncrowave 250 with a three phase plug?

brent.bousquet

Plastic
I know there are a few threads that say the syncrowave is only single phase and so does the manual so I believe them but I was just given one and it has this plug on it. I'm not an electrician but I do know the basics and a four prong plug like that usually means three phase right? Can I just remove that one and put on a different one?

20210315-163612 — ImgBB

I know there are a few threads that say the syncrowave is only single phase and so does the manual so I believe them but I was just given one and it has this plug on it. I'm not an electrician but I do know the basics and a four prong plug like that usually means three phase right? Can I just remove that one and put on a different one?

20210315-163612 — ImgBB

I am seeing 4 wire single phase 240 volt outlets/plugs these days.

Best to remove the covers on the welder and see which colors are hooked to just what terminal and then wire your new plug.

And the machines ID plate should give some info. They are/were available as 3ph welders.

Where is the ID plate located? I looked around it and couldn't find anything. I couldn't find the cereal number ether. Its from my work, they upgraded and said I could take it if I wanted but have no info on it because it hasn't been used in a few years.

Where is the ID plate located? I looked around it and couldn't find anything. I couldn't find the cereal number ether. Its from my work, they upgraded and said I could take it if I wanted but have no info on it because it hasn't been used in a few years.

On a miller, it usually is right up front.

Take a couple of pixs of the front, and post here.

I know my cereal number is cap'n crunch. lol

but its always been located by the power entrance to the machine.
and yes they have made 1ph and 3ph machines,no they are not interchangeable unless the plate specs it out on it. most were only one or the other.

I know my cereal number is cap'n crunch. lol

but its always been located by the power entrance to the machine.
and yes they have made 1ph and 3ph machines,no they are not interchangeable unless the plate specs it out on it. most were only one or the other.

I prefer ciniman toast crunch haha
I actually found the plate. We moved and it was placed up against the wall so I couldn't properly see the front but I found it and it is in fact single phase. So why the four prong plug?

20210316-111159 — ImgBB
20210316-111106 — ImgBB
20210316-111246 — ImgBB
20210316-111142 — ImgBB
20210316-111123 — ImgBB

If I'm reading the chart right the KD in the cereal number means it's from 1993, same year I was born. Older than I thought. Looks to be in pretty good condition considering. Any suggestions for things to look out for?

I prefer ciniman toast crunch haha
I actually found the plate. We moved and it was placed up against the wall so I couldn't properly see the front but I found it and it is in fact single phase. So why the four prong plug?

20210316-111159 — ImgBB
20210316-111106 — ImgBB
20210316-111246 — ImgBB
20210316-111142 — ImgBB
20210316-111123 — ImgBB

id be willing to bet it was set on 200V inside with the jumper, so all they did was use a single leg off a 460V 3 phase plug that had 4 prongs but only used 3 of them.

Pull the plug apart ,bet you will find only 3 wires ! Welder was only using 2 legs of the 3 phase. Bought several Millermatic's setup that way a few years ago. And yes the Miller welders I have had the spec plate was on the back where the supply cord entered.

Back