What's new
What's new

millermatic passport as 1st mig welder?

bryan_machine

Diamond
This is a "crazy" vs "not crazy" test.

Given that I have 208v (3 phase) at my shop, 115volt everywhere else, and went to do things like weld up carts and stands once or twice a year, would a millermatic passport be a reasonable choice?

It appeals to me because it claims to run on multiple voltages, is small enough to be easy enough to move around, it appears easy to safely transport, and would be quite small to store.

Sensible?

Very sensible if you need or value the portability. The Passport runs off of 115V or 230V and with the internal CO2 tank can weld for a good while. I have one with 4 tanks and everyone is amazed when I break it out. It is an inverter based machine and welds very nice. It is a fantastic unit but it comes with a price. You can get a 180 class mig for 1/2 of what the Passport goes for. That said, I wouldn't give mine up for anything. I would recommend replacing the stock M-10 gun with a Bernard Q gun with the Centerfire consumables. That is a fabulous combination that is hard to beat. Let me know if I can answer any other questions as I have put several hundred pounds of wire through mine.

Is the Q gun easier to use? Does it make better welds? Or is it just easier to clean/maintain, longer lasting consumables, etc?

Do you ever weld aluminum with it? How involved is it to change over for that? (I expect to eventually get a TIG welder for that, but this budget cycle...)

The M-10 gun is just mediocre at best. The Bernard Q is an industrial quality gun that can take some abuse and is a better match for that unit. The centerfire consumables do last much longer and the integrated nozzle/gas diffuser gives much better shielding coverage IMO.

The Passport is not designed to weld Al. I have never tried it but have spoken with some Miller techs who have and they advised against it. I have other machines for AL so this has never been an issue for me.

KB, have you had any problems? I've heard of board problems with the passport that Miller was slow to accept and repair. Not sure if in warranty or not.

Back