Min requirements for a dualshield setup - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would hope the HF could overcome, but if not, scratch start it is. It's especially vicious with the new inverters... They hurt when you forget the ground and the HF goes through you. Not like the old transformers where you could run the HF over your hand/finger without undue discomfort...
    Kr and Xe seem like they would be awesome for Ti and stainless, especially if you set the joint up right.
    And yes, if I do any of this its going on YT.
    Sorry for the sidetrack OP...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PlasmaOnTheBrain View Post
    I would hope the HF could overcome, but if not, scratch start it is. It's especially vicious with the new inverters... They hurt when you forget the ground and the HF goes through you. Not like the old transformers where you could run the HF over your hand/finger without undue discomfort...
    Kr and Xe seem like they would be awesome for Ti and stainless, especially if you set the joint up right.
    And yes, if I do any of this its going on YT.
    Sorry for the sidetrack OP...
    It's all fun to me!

3. Likes PlasmaOnTheBrain, digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A good fab job came across my plate and pushed me over the ledge to a PowerMig256. Has the power to do 90% of anything I'd ever want and my buddy has some DC600's for the rest. Going to start with flux-core wire, may go to a gas setup later.

Can't wait to unbox it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Loving this 256 but the spatter and smoke of the NR-221 has to go. The minimum quantity of the wire I want to run (.045" Lincoln UltraCore 71A75) is 33lb which will last a while unless it's going to rot on the spool.

Does this stuff go bad?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cole2534 View Post
    Loving this 256 but the spatter and smoke of the NR-221 has to go. The minimum quantity of the wire I want to run (.045" Lincoln UltraCore 71A75) is 33lb which will last a while unless it's going to rot on the spool.

Does this stuff go bad?
    Yes it goes bad. If you keep it warm and dry not as fast. If you store it be sure to have some sort of desicant sealed in with the wire. Long term storage I would try to vacuum seal the wire as best you could. In a rod oven you are fine for a long time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    Yes it goes bad. If you keep it warm and dry not as fast. If you store it be sure to have some sort of desicant sealed in with the wire. Long term storage I would try to vacuum seal the wire as best you could. In a rod oven you are fine for a long time.
    A pain in the ass, but not insurmountable. Spool some onto a sub-spool, then vac/dessicant pack the remainder. And if you're doing a big job install the full spool.

I'll give it a go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would just throw a desicant pack into heavy plastic bag with the full size wire roll and suck out as much as you can with a shop vac. Put it back in its box. There are special plastic bags made for doing this with sweaters and seasonal clothes that might work well. Space bags is one name for them. here is a review of some: The Best Vacuum Sealing And Space Saver Bags For Home Organization And Travel – Review Geek

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Swung by my buddies shop and he gave me a spool of .045" ESAB 7100 Ultra and it ran really smooth with C25. It had a high deposition rate and ran with less smoke, very little spatter and smooth bead with flux that fell off maybe better than 7018.

Nice wire.

10. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Swung by my buddies shop and he gave me a spool of .045" ESAB 7100 Ultra and it ran really smooth with C25. It had a high deposition rate and ran with less smoke, very little spatter and smooth bead with flux that fell off maybe better than 7018.

Nice wire.
    That used to be my go to wire, no longer stocked locally. You can use it with straight C0-2 also.
    Local store now stocks esab 710X now, I have used a few rolls of it and it is hard to tell a difference between 710x and 7100 ultra.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That used to be my go to wire, no longer stocked locally. You can use it with straight C0-2 also.
    Local store now stocks esab 710X now, I have used a few rolls of it and it is hard to tell a difference between 710x and 7100 ultra.
    I almost went that route, but I figured the C25 was a more flexible gas so I could try other wires as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I almost went that route, but I figured the C25 was a more flexible gas so I could try other wires as well.
    Some wires are only C0-2 or C-25, I like the versatility of 7100 ultra to be able to use either. The store with the 710X has to have two wires in stock, one for C-25 and the other for C0-2. If I run out of one gas and need to keep going I can just use the other gas...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some wires are only C0-2 or C-25, I like the versatility of 7100 ultra to be able to use either. The store with the 710X has to have two wires in stock, one for C-25 and the other for C0-2. If I run out of one gas and need to keep going I can just use the other gas...
    I'm lucky. I have an Airgas 1/2mi from my shop and per the store mgr, it is one of the highest foot traffic'd sites in the state- ie, they carry a lot of stuff in stock.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm running some Lincoln Ultracore 0.045 71A85 right now on a small dozer blade repair. Runs smooth with no spatter until I hit some hidden dirt on the blade. Using a Miller Deltaweld 452 with a S74DX feeder and 400 amp gun. 26.5v, 400ipm, and 75/25 leaves it smooth and the slag just curls to where I can remove it with my glove. I had problems with worm tracks when I got the wire but I baked it in the oven at 212 for 20 minutes in the oven and it came out of the worm track problem. The gun is a Miller Roughneck air cooled and I only weld about 6 inches at a time to keep warpage down. Rest for a minute and let the smoke clear out and weld again. Just a slight weave, less than a quarter inch or it will worm track a little bit.

16. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ferrretcatcher View Post
    I'm running some Lincoln Ultracore 0.045 71A85 right now on a small dozer blade repair. Runs smooth with no spatter until I hit some hidden dirt on the blade. Using a Miller Deltaweld 452 with a S74DX feeder and 400 amp gun. 26.5v, 400ipm, and 75/25 leaves it smooth and the slag just curls to where I can remove it with my glove. I had problems with worm tracks when I got the wire but I baked it in the oven at 212 for 20 minutes in the oven and it came out of the worm track problem. The gun is a Miller Roughneck air cooled and I only weld about 6 inches at a time to keep warpage down. Rest for a minute and let the smoke clear out and weld again. Just a slight weave, less than a quarter inch or it will worm track a little bit.
    Just noticed your post. That 71A85 is what I was on my way to buy until the 7100 fell into my lap. Glad to hear it's a good contender.