What's new
What's new

MiniTHC torch height controller

neilcreighton

Plastic
I run a plasma table with Mach 3. Tried out the MiniTHC from Russia sold on Ebay and Amazon. I ended up paying $180.00 with shipping and so far I am quite pleased with it. Admittedly, this is the first torch height control I have used and I am not cutting out anything real intricate (1/4" - 5/8" plate for fabrication). Just thought I'd throw my opinion out there if anyone else has been wondering about them.

So I got a PM questioning the price I listed and I dug out my invoice. I paid $280 with shipping. Sorry about the error. I still think it was a good deal for that price.

Lets see some cut quality. Preferably a sawtooth pattern over 48" or so (lots of sharp corners). Set the 5/8" plate up so it's 1" higher on one side.

Interested to see how it keeps up.

I'm pretty sure that the price you quoted is just the electronics. A functioning torch height control for plasma needs a z axis motorized slide that is controlled by the electronics. You need to add that cos in as well (mechanicals, motor, driver, interface to the electronics).

It is also imperative (if you want the height control to work) that it is tied intimately into your cnc control....height control must either freeze or modify the voltage comparison when decelerating, accelerating, kerf crossing, etc., or the height will change (usually the torch will dive toward the material when speed slows). Plasma height control that works is complex!

Jim Colt Hypertherm

I run a plasma table with Mach 3. Tried out the MiniTHC from Russia sold on Ebay and Amazon. I ended up paying $180.00 with shipping and so far I am quite pleased with it. Admittedly, this is the first torch height control I have used and I am not cutting out anything real intricate (1/4" - 5/8" plate for fabrication). Just thought I'd throw my opinion out there if anyone else has been wondering about them.

Yeah Jim, I never said it included the motorized z axis. My machine originally had a large ball bearing that contacted the plate to keep the cutting height constant. I wrote the review because when I was trying to upgrade to some sort of torch height control, I couldn't find any usefull posts or reviews about the lower end height controls. What I did find was quite a few posts from you disparaging all of the entry level THCs. The MiniTHC has an adjustable anti dive feature that suspends z travel when the voltage drastically changes. I am sure that Hypertherm's torch height controller is a far better product with a far higher price.

Sorry, not meaning to knock any other equipment. The point that I attempted to make (though poor attempt) is that height control needs to be accurate, repeatable, and needs to be ties to the cnc. It is just as important as the x and y axis when it comes to doing what cnc plasma cutting machines are supposed to do. They are supposed to automate the cutting process, bringing better levels of accuracy and productivity, and provide for a hands off cutting process.

Hypertherm does not have a height control that is made for light industrial or entry level machines. The ones from CandCNC.com seem to work well, and have the ability to work with the cnc, allowing for better kerf crossing, cornering, etc.

Any height control is usually better than none, however from a plasma cut quality and operating cost perspective I always lobby for better height control as it makes our plasma cutters work better!

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Yeah Jim, I never said it included the motorized z axis. My machine originally had a large ball bearing that contacted the plate to keep the cutting height constant. I wrote the review because when I was trying to upgrade to some sort of torch height control, I couldn't find any usefull posts or reviews about the lower end height controls. What I did find was quite a few posts from you disparaging all of the entry level THCs. The MiniTHC has an adjustable anti dive feature that suspends z travel when the voltage drastically changes. I am sure that Hypertherm's torch height controller is a far better product with a far higher price.

I know that this is an older post but I was looking into doing a THC add-on with my table it runs GRBL any help would be greatly appreciated. I found the MiniTHC but says works with Mach and have been looking on CandCNC, also. I just need a little guidance.

There are other forums that will provide you with better faster answers for diy plasma questions. A quick google search should point you in the right direction for better help.

Back