What's new
What's new

Moderately priced auto helmet?

Cole2534

Diamond
I need another welding hood, but don't want to spend a ton of money since it's just for the house. Half tempted to buy an old pipeliner, but auto darkening is a really hard habit to kick.

Does anyone have suggestions for a good automatic in the 100-200$ range?

Believe it or not, the Harbor Freight auto helmets are surprisingly good. The Blue flame helmet with the knob on the left side is good, as good as or better than top line helmets were 20 years ago.

AND there are no hidden batteries inside to go dead, like the brand names once had. I have one that gets used almost daily that is 6+ years old.

Do I really want to trust my vision to an HF helmet?

EDIT- The $99 model look really similar to my Miller Digital

AFAIK all auto-darken helmets have a UV filter and the darkening mainly increases comfort level. If so, that would explain why speed is not that important and besides, I think even the slowest one responds faster than you can blink.

I bought 2 weldmark auto-dark helmets for $99 a piece, one for work and one for the TIG class I was taking. The TIG class helmet ended up following me home. I did have an issue with one helmet deciding it wa going to eat 1 AA battery a day but I was able to take it back to the welding shop I bought it from and get it replace. Other than that I have been happy with them.

AFAIK all auto-darken helmets have a UV filter and the darkening mainly increases comfort level. If so, that would explain why speed is not that important and besides, I think even the slowest one responds faster than you can blink.

I didn't realize that. Thanks!

I don't believe UV is all there is to it. I may be wrong but I was under the impression excessive light in the visible spectrum can damage your vision as well.

I don't believe UV is all there is to it. I may be wrong but I was under the impression excessive light in the visible spectrum can damage your vision as well.

Yes, but it's not instantaneous. If it were everyone who ever worked around welders and saw a flash would have eye damage. Ever looked directly at the sun by accident? Many have, and a quick glimpse isn't the issue that prolonged exposure is. If brief flashes caused damage no one could be photographed using flash unless they closed their eyes.

In the case of a welding helmet that failed to darken instinct would make you close your eyes.

Yes but you basically have shade 12-14 infrared and UV protection at all times as well as shade 3-5 protection for visible light that is built into the lens even if it doesn't darken.

I wouldn't do a long weld without a darkening helmet but I don't think it's as bad as going outside on a sunny day for example.

Do I really want to trust my vision to an HF helmet?

EDIT- The $99 model look really similar to my Miller Digital

I thought the same and for years used a Miller elite before I added a 3m Speedglas papr to combat the fumes. I've had more flashes from the 3m in a small amount of usage than the Miller elite which I don't think I've ever had a flash with. It sucks down batteries like a fat kid at a free breakfast buffet, but hey, it's better than getting flashed.

OH yes........they have batteries inside.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sea...blue+flame+welding+helmet+battery+replacement

Believe it or not, the Harbor Freight auto helmets are surprisingly good. The Blue flame helmet with the knob on the left side is good, as good as or better than top line helmets were 20 years ago.

AND there are no hidden batteries inside to go dead, like the brand names once had. I have one that gets used almost daily that is 6+ years old.

If you wear a white shirt while welding you will get more reflection back under your helmet then what you think
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Part of being smart is knowing when you don't know. I think welding helmets fall in the same category as motorcycle helmets. Both my head and my eyes are important enough to own the best. Even the most expensive is cheap insurance.

Treat yourself to a new top shelf helmet at the shop and take your old one home. I bought my Dad a Miller classic last year and I'm really not impressed with it. I have a digital performance at home that's ok. I have a Digital Elite at the shop I've had for 12 years now and it has been flawless. I really want to try one with the new clear light lens though.

If you end up going expensive, I use a Miller T94 hood at work. They are something like $450 and another $600 for the respirator pack, but they sure are comfortable with a wide viewing angle, excellent response time, and a wide shade adjustment. They reliably darken when needed and don't eat through their batteries too quickly.

They also monitor arc time and things like that if you care.

I need another welding hood, but don't want to spend a ton of money since it's just for the house. Half tempted to buy an old pipeliner, but auto darkening is a really hard habit to kick.

Does anyone have suggestions for a good automatic in the 100-200$ range?

nope, most i have found are all cheap garbage i wouldn't waste my $ on. $300-500 can get you a decent helmet that doesn't arc flash you.

Having used a wide variety of welding hoods, the higher end ones get you better clarity, are less green, larger windows, etc.

I haven't had issues with arc flashing other than dead batteries, which can happen to any of them. Pay attention to the low battery light and you'll be fine.

Back