What's new
What's new

Moderately Priced Good Quality Tubing Bender

Grits

Stainless
Hello Everyone.

Now that I have a TIG welder I have been thinking about all the things I could build with a tubing bender. I have several projects that would require one. My primary project is a T-Top for my Center console boat.

Speed is not a concern because I am a hobbyist; however I would like something that is somewhat accurate and repeatable. I would like to bend up to 2" SS with a wall thickness of no more than 1/8 inch. Most of the two inch material would actually be half that.

I appreciate all and any advise yall will offer.

Thanks,

Grits

The JD2's are the best compromise of price versus capacity out there.
They are essentially a modified Hossfeld bender.
And for tubing, they rule.

But they are only good for tubing. For tubing, you need dedicated dies fore each size, to get good bends, so if you stick to one or two sizes, its not TOO bad in price.

For all around bending, a Hossfeld is still the ticket. They will bend anything, in a wide range of sizes, shapes, and radiuses.
They are not as good for tubing as the JD2, but they will bend pipe, tubing, EMT, square tube, cap rail, and much more.

2" though, is the upper limit for manual bending- it takes a LOT of oohmph to bend 2", especially 2" stainless.
I bend 2" stainless on my $10,000 Italian Curvatrici, which is 3hp, 3phase, weighs 2000lbs, and is built like a tank. And 2" stainless schedule 40 is pushing it right to its limit. Not to mention the 2" pipe dies for it cost something like $800, just for the dies.

I think you will find you will be better off to stick to 1 1/2" pipe or tube, with a JD2.

I have trouble bending SS tubing in my Hossfeld, it usually kinks badly, especially thinner wall tubing. Ask the bender manufacturer for sample bends before you buy if you are buying the bender specifically for that material.

Harbor Freight sells a couple hydraulic pipe benders for under $200. with the dies from 1/2" to 2". You can use them for tubing if you first bend a section of pipe 90* then you cut the bent piece in half around the radius. Using the inside piece this will give you a "Shoe" to put in the die and you will have converted the die from pipe to tubing.

I have a JD2 now and have made thousands of bends with a Hossfeld #2, all on tubing. I have only had the JD2 for a little over a year, but liked the closely machined dies and that it is a rotary draw type bender. IMO the JD2 does a better job on tube, there is less distortion at the begining of the bend vs. the Hossfeld. If you want more than a tube bender, ie. flats, angles, everything else under the sun, the Hossfeld is the cat's meow. I bought the hydraulic kit for the JD2, works well, but slower than heck, but you said you're not after speed. I am not too sure how well either will work on SS tube, mostly because the wall/od/bend radius ratio would be tough to get favorable numbers unless you go to a really thick walled tube, that's where the high dollar benders really shine, especially something along the lines of a Pines or Eaton Lenard.

I built a boat top rack (combo shade and rod holders) a couple of years ago, tried to bend 1-1/2"-0.065 T304 SS in a Hossfeld with a 6" clr die...wrinkled up like a tailpipe (those that are supposed to be that way).

PS...make sure you purge the inside of your SS tube before ANY welding!

Good luck, Steve

I should clarify- my curvatrici is a section roll- a powered 3 roll machine. This works pretty well on stainless pipe and tube, because it is an incremental process, but it will not do as tight of radiuses as a JD2.
Still, bending stainless is NEVER "moderately priced".

I do a lot of work with stainless, and nothing about it is "moderately priced".
I figure materials are 5 times mild steel costs, machinery needs are at least double the capacity (which generally means 4 times the price) and labor is at least double. Not to mention much higher consumable costs- abrasives, saw blades, mills and drills, and so on.

I have built several roll cages (for race cars and off-road trucks) out of 1.75" x .120 DOM, all bends performed on a Pro-Tools model #105. I think it's a bit better made than the JD2. (Although I generally like the JD2 products.)

http://www.pro-tools.com/105.htm

They have dies for 2" tubing. I have tried to bend some 1.75" x .250 DOM, but I was pushing it so hard, I felt like I was going to break something. I don't know if it was gonna' be me or the machine that broke.:nutter:

If you end up doing a bunch of bending work- invest in the software to make it easy. I bought Bend-Tech EZ earlier this Spring and it's already payed for itself in less scrap.

http://www.2020softwaresolutions.com/prod02.htm

Just my $.02

Luke

I have a JD2 and like it.

They used to sell an anti-springback device for stainless tubing, basically it held your forward progress while you reratcheted (sp?) your handle. There is the possibility of this happening w/o such a device.

The operator being smooth has alot to do with smooth bends.

There is a Pro-tools bender that people also like. I think it's cost-competative wtih the JD2 if you are going to get the stand/handle/accessories/dies at the same time.

I built my own stand and handle.

-James

Thank You

Thanks Luke, thanks James.

Yall have taken me light years ahead of where I was a couple of days ago.

Luke, the is only one thing worse that the sound before something breaks, the sight after it breaks. Especially if you see any red.

Grits

Pro Tools Plans

Hello Everyone:

Pro Tools offers plans for their model 200. I am sure some parts, including dies, would have to be purchased. Has anyone built one of these? If so, what did you build and what did you buy?

Thanks,

Grits

Gritts it has been a while...

Hope you and the girls are doing well. My dogs still want to come visit your ducks.

I have a small bender for round and square tubing. Up to 1.25" 12ga.

Then I have a hydrolic bender for 1." to 2" .

For just a few projects I would not buy a real expensive pipe bender.

For 2.'" pipe you can make a a series of relief cuts in the radius and tig them back up and have a good radius bend.

Rustystud

The JD does a nice job on SS tubing, I have only used up to 1 1/2 inch and it didn't take too much force . They claim it will do 2 inch but you will have to modify the die follower or buy their modified one for 1.5 inch or 2 inch to keep from kinking the inside . 1.25 inch worked fine with the standard follower. I will try to link you to an old post that describes the mod.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php?t=157321&highlight=jim+moser

I have trouble bending SS tubing in my Hossfeld, it usually kinks badly, especially thinner wall tubing. Ask the bender manufacturer for sample bends before you buy if you are buying the bender specifically for that material.

What is the wall thickness and radius? Tube will wrinkle or collapse if the wall is too thin. Sounds like that might be the case for you.

I got a set of bender plans from this guy here. Haven't started yet so can't comment about them. They cost $18 and although free plans are available from Pro-Tools these seemed to be a little better and worth the $. The bender uses Pro-Tool dies if you don't want to make your own.

http://www.gottrikes.com
/Tube_Bender.htm

Not sure if there is any savings to speak of in building one rather than buying.

Back