What's new
What's new

Multiple welding machine junction box

mjk

Titanium
Posting this to give someone the idea in case they are in the same situation.

I have Precision tig 225, Tombstone stick and a SP200 mig machine that all use 230 50 amp.
Keep in mind, only 1 machine is used at a time and welding is not my primary business.
Problem is I only have 1 outlet.
Not a real big deal, but each time I have to use the other machine I have to unplug and plug in the one I'm going to use and the wall outlet is behind the machines.
The solution was to build a way to have all 3 plugged in to eliminate the unplugging and plugging machines in.
Probably could have run 2 more circuits.......but that would be about $400.00

pics of what I came up with I have less than $100.00 invested.
The boxes and cart were salvage pieces, paint sort of matches the Lincoln red.
All 3 machines will stay plugged in.
The plugs are staggered to allow hand room around a each plug
The on off switch will be in the off position when welders are not in use.

0312191530_2.jpg0312191531.jpg0312191541_2.jpg

I think for that amount of effort you could have run a piece of conduit and eight wires.

For a three way extension cord it's a humdinger.

Running conduit would have required unloading pallet racks and multiple compound bends of the conduit.
If I was in a situation where 2 machines needed to run at once, that would have been a necessity.

We had a switch between a wired-in spot welder and an outlet shared by the MIG and TIG welder and plasma cutter. Then we reorganized the welding area, removed the switch and put a plug on the spot welder so they all share one outlet. This is in a hospital shop and there is only room for one person to work on that bench but things must be to code, so no wiring all those loads to one circuit on the theory they'll never be used together. It's actually good to have these safety driven things as you can point to them when there's a safety committee visit and they are at risk of coming up silly policies in the absence of anything else to talk about. i.e. LOOK AT THIS ELECTRICAL LAYOUT. SAFETY IS ALREADY OCCURRING AS WE SPEAK!!

I sort of want to make a power strip similar to the ones you see for household use but scale it up to 240V 50A.

If you can only run one at once, why are you concerned? Just hang 3 plugs off the circuit and call it good.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

I put 4)480 volt outlets on the same circuit. But only have 2)480 volt welders and I am the only one welding. Once in a while I have both welders on at the same time. But I have little expectations of mastering TIG and MIG welding at the same time, even though I have 2 hands. Maybe use the MIG to Hot Wire feed the TIG for some serious metal output?

FWIW, per the electrical design engineers at work the NEC does not place a limit on the number of end devices that may be placed on a circuit (at least in the context of this conversation).

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Back