What's new
What's new

My home built hydraulic press brake - 40 tons 63 inches

Nice work! I love shop built tools. Only thing that would bug me is having to release each jack separately, but it's not a big deal. Maybe you could plumb both of them to one valve. Now it needs a coat of paint.

Sharing some photos and videos of my recently completed 40 ton 63 inch hydraulic press brake. Powered by two Harbor Freight 20 ton air over hydraulic jacks. I spent a couple weeks CAD designing this and 1.5 weeks building it. Working flawlessly so far. Here are links to the build process photos and some videos of the machine in action:

Homemade 40 Ton 63 Inch Hydraulic Press Brake - Album on Imgur

YouTube

I wonder why you didn't put the jacks underneath, and use gravity for the ram return ?

Needs Paint....:D

I think you did a great job, and for what is invested, it looks like it works perfectly..good work.:)

Stuart
Thanks! It’s working great so far! Definitely great for what was invested (spent about 1/12 the cost of a commercially available machine with the same size and capacity

Nice work! I love shop built tools. Only thing that would bug me is having to release each jack separately, but it's not a big deal. Maybe you could plumb both of them to one valve. Now it needs a coat of paint.

Thanks! Yeah that’s the only downside for me also but it’s pretty easy to work with. Like you said, I’ll probably develop a way to make it easier by tying them together somehow

I wonder why you didn't put the jacks underneath, and use gravity for the ram return ?

Needs Paint....:D

I considered it but decided I wanted the bed that the workpiece sits on to remain stationary. I figured it might be easier to maintain accuracy that way especially when bending awkward geometries that need support. I’m not a big fan of the press types where the bed moves upward. I still need to build my material support system and rear back gauge. Both of those will also remain stationary along with the lower bed

I watched your video of the frame construction. I enjoy videos that are sped up and music free. I will say that having fabricated and welded myself for a bazillion years that I'm amazed that you did all that frame assembly in shorts and tennis shoes and no socks..welding as well as grinding, ouch!

Stuart

I watched your video of the frame construction. I enjoy videos that are sped up and music free. I will say that having fabricated and welded myself for a bazillion years that I'm amazed that you did all that frame assembly in shorts and tennis shoes and no socks..welding as well as grinding, ouch!

Stuart
Everyone needs more vitamin "D" these days to battle Covid…..:D

Back