What's new
What's new

Is my Speedglas 9002X dying ?

SND

Diamond
I've been using a Speedglas 9002X for about 9yrs, bought it just a few months after that particular one came out with the large window, around $600ish back then. Mainly doing Tig, some stick. Noticed the last couple times using it this week that when I get the arc going it goes to full shade 13 for about 2 seconds and then readjusts itself to the shade I have selected, 10. So I thought maybe the batteries as I hadn't changed those in at least 4yrs(meter had them still well in the green) but sadly I just put brand new batteries in it and still the same problem. Glass and sensors are still mint, not a scratch or anything, no bad drops.
I'm wondering if its finally just dying of old age or if its something fixable. After that 2seconds to adjust itself it's fine perfect view as always before, but that 2 seconds its a PITA when doing anything low amperage, can't see shit at 13 shade, and then when it switches to the right setting its just annoying all the same.

So, anyone else have that happen?

thanks

Speedglas

Had a similar problem with my Speedglas. Probably a generation older than yours. The contrast seemed to be affected with mine. It also was unreliable at detecting when you were welding and switched on late more often than not. I had the devil of a time seeing the puddle, and I thought that my eyes had finally given up the ghost as far as welding was concerned. A quick switch to a #10 lensed hood and all was well.
Speedglas was willing to give me a trade in on the old one at the time, but I ended up purchasing a new Lincoln instead. Very happy with that for the last two years.

paul

I'll start shopping for its eventual replacement I think. I wasn't very impressed with them after the 3M take over(film inside for the buttons was loose and fell apart very quickly) and screen color changed a bit too, but I'll check if they got back up to what the hornell's were. Thing is almost nobody(maybe nobody) seems to stock them here anymore. Around 9yrs of use and who knows howmany hundred thousands(millions?) times it auto darkened, can't complain much I guess, other than that 2second delay its still going fine so maybe I can get a few more years out of it stick/mig welding once I get that set up. Seen a few other auto darks go to crap 2-3yrs in.

Anyone with other suggestions on which new welding helmets are top end on the market? need a fairly large window similar to the 9002X.

I'll start shopping for its eventual replacement I think. I wasn't very impressed with them after the 3M take over(film inside for the buttons was loose and fell apart very quickly) and screen color changed a bit too, but I'll check if they got back up to what the hornell's were. Thing is almost nobody(maybe nobody) seems to stock them here anymore. Around 9yrs of use and who knows howmany hundred thousands(millions?) times it auto darkened, can't complain much I guess, other than that 2second delay its still going fine so maybe I can get a few more years out of it stick/mig welding once I get that set up. Seen a few other auto darks go to crap 2-3yrs in.

Anyone with other suggestions on which new welding helmets are top end on the market? need a fairly large window similar to the 9002X.

What about the 9100XX?

My eyes aren't what they used to be and I use a cheater lens and also need all the visual help I can get. Ended up going back to an inexpensive old school non-AD hood. I can see the puddle much more clearly than with my Speedglas, which I think is over-rated. To put a number on it, I'd say the view through my $35 hood is about 20% better than with my mega-dollar Speedglas.

I've posted this opinion before in other forums and run into a lot of resistance, but my experience is that to some extent we've been sold a bill of goods with AD helmets. Of course they're great for striking an arc and maybe for youngsters with perfect vision and who are natural welders they're fine. But I really prefer the view through old school lenses.

Bob

I'll check into the 9100's and also the lincoln, so far it looks like the 9002x is still a $600 helmet here, there had been a sale on them a few years ago for just under 400, but so much for that now. I've always found the view to be excellent with my speedglas, right down to 5amps and could still see well all around, for lots of the welding I do a solid shade helmet just doesn't do it.

I'm looking for my next helmet too, so I'm interested in what you do. I had a Jackson EQC for a zillion years and it recently started flickering when dark. changing the battery etc didn't help, so I guess it's done.

I'm currently using a Sellstrom Phantom Lite XL lense in a Jackson helmet and like it, it varies from shade 9 to 12 and is large format. - Sellstrom Phantom Lite XL Auto Darkening Filter

I agree with laganobob - I wish the AD helmets were as clear as a gold lens.

Have never had a chance to try a gold lens, they praphs don't even exist in the uk? Would like to see if there all they are cracked up to be? All i do know is there's no way i would go back to a non AD adjustable helmet. Some times i have to when i leave the AD some were but its harder, even with a nice new clear cover lens + filter.

The gold lenses are great, you can even see colors in the area lit by the arc, like the copper plating on the rod. There must be an online source you could order from if you can't get one locally. Compared to an AD lens it's like having a picture window because they don't get darker toward the corners.

Back when I was shopping for my first helmet I had interest in the Jackson Nexgen and wanted to compare it with the speedglas, but no such thing local and nobody really knew of them here.
Now looking at them again the feedback on their "boss" doesn't seem so good, not sure how the Nexgen's are these days either.
I'll check a few in person tomorrow.

I looked at some of the owners manuals and they mention replacing a cartridge. Is that something that can be replaced when these start to fail?

I am also very interested in this, over the years I have been through two Optrel helmets ( batteries died and not replaceable ) and one Speedglass, still have it. I have now moved on to a Miller digital elite and use a cheater lens.
To me the most important is the shade BEFORE the arc is struck, I feel it is too dark on the Speedglass I have.
The Miller is much clearer. As I get older I think my eyes adjust slower so I can not see the TIG electrode or mig wire.
This is maybe why a non AD system still works well, you are looking where you are going to weld in normal light and then close your eyes and flip the helmet down.
I have used the Miller helmet for a year now and am still very happy, it pays to keep the protective lenses new and clear.

Bernard

The cartridge lens for the speedglass is not much less $ than a whole new helmet.
By biggest complaint in the time I've had this speedglas is the headgear, always having to tighten it every 3-4 flips.

Longevity of the less expensive helmets like the millers, lincoln and so on worries me a bit, great if it makes it 8-10yrs, not so good a deal if they only survive 2-3.
Didn't hear back yet on the cost of a solid #10 shade for the speedglas, should be decent bit less than the adjustable one.

Anyone know if the Spedglass 9100X series is made in Sweden like the older 9002's and so on were? thinking of ordering one of those, but can't see one in person at any store here. All the other brands so far are from China, I don't want that.

Found my answer, they are still made in Sweden :)
Now I just need to see the dif in $ beween the 2.

I used a Lincoln for about 4 years then it died. I bought a Miller to replace it. the Lincoln was always on, the Miller needs to be switched on, after it is not used for a while it shuts off. The length of time before it turns off is not consistent, sometimes 5 min. sometimes 10. If you are slow to fixture the next part you better hit the switch or you may get flashed. What a pita. do the high dollar helmets, Speedglass, Optrel, have this switch?

With my current 9002x I just hold the ON button for 2seconds and it turns it off. I like that, still using it. I tried to get prices from 2-3 places 2 weeks ago before going on vacation, never heard back on that a 9100x costs.
I get the feeling 3M might have to do something to get people to carry those helmets again or the inevitable will happen.

these speedglass helmets are notorious for battery corrosion problems. the copper connections are paper then and go away quickly. i have one that i have repaired several times

im having the same problem with my Eagle helmet , battery died, order new ones, had to solder them to the board (easy) . then one week later shade doesnt darken anymore. great time for a phone call ....

Back