Need help - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Need help

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    124
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    58
    Likes (Received)
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thor232 View Post
    Ok thanks but am curious cant i give a bit of exaggerated bend radius to make it universal to most press break i could close the corners on solidworks i know thr corner relief gap will be a bit wide but thats ok am asking because am using different workshops to bend my parts because they are not that professional in there work i need to measure all the die openings of all of them so before i do that is there any modification i could do on the software so that the bending wont need that precision

    Sent from my SM-G935K using Tapatalk
    In the world I/we play in they quote it to the print and build it to the print. PERIOD. Or we don't get paid.

    It doesn't matter how it is designed in Solidworks or the K Factor (for the most part), none of that matters. The Fabrication shop is responsible to make the part to a design specification, the print. This corner construction you are looking for is not out of the norm. It is the norm and they should be able to do it.

    Maybe if you moved all the work to one supplier they might invest in the tooling to make it happen correctly.

  2. Likes digger doug liked this post
  3. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    14,537
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    When your shop is on the "Aland Islands" finding good vendors is tough....

    Or, they are using a Bettenbender "Press brake shaped object"....

  4. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4 FN 27 View Post
    In the world I/we play in they quote it to the print and build it to the print. PERIOD. Or we don't get paid.

    It doesn't matter how it is designed in Solidworks or the K Factor (for the most part), none of that matters. The Fabrication shop is responsible to make the part to a design specification, the print. This corner construction you are looking for is not out of the norm. It is the norm and they should be able to do it.

    Maybe if you moved all the work to one supplier they might invest in the tooling to make it happen correctly.
    Yea think my shop needs a press break after all if you got the things made right you gotta do it your self thanks for the help guys

    Sent from my SM-G935K using Tapatalk

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Langley, B.C.
    Posts
    1,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    325
    Likes (Received)
    961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    I'm not really seeing the problem.

    It appears that you would just pinch the legs closed to touch on the corner, and weld it shut.

    I doo see you corner relief (on the white piece) looks to be in the wrong place.

    The bare steel one looks like a small tap with a hammer will pull it right in, put a tack there, and work your way down the seam.
    I don't really see a problem either. Your layout looks pretty good, you just need a bit more bend on some of
    those legs. Close them up a little tighter and you should be fine...

  6. Likes digger doug liked this post
  7. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Se Ma USA
    Posts
    1,446
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    110
    Likes (Received)
    815

    Default

    SW can be dialed in to give you almost exactly what you want and corner gaps are adjustable. Bending is out of your control so you need to work with THEIR parameters to get what you want. I have SW parameters for 16 gauge 304 dialed in very accurately for flat pattern blank sizes, but need to tweek the DXFs on the corners before sending to the laser. SW for some reason will not give accurate bend lines for 16G 304. The Delem control on the brake will, but the Delem control does not give blank sizes as accurate as SW. Gave up on that but using both gets it done.
    Getting good and accurate sheet metal parts requires experience, skill, and for damn sure, VOO DOO.
    As said above, bend single flange first. Double flange requires punch and die to fit inside the 2 single flanges and not touch the inside radius. If single flanges are slightly over bent then the operator needs to hold them open so the double flange does not bind.

  8. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy887 View Post
    SW can be dialed in to give you almost exactly what you want and corner gaps are adjustable. Bending is out of your control so you need to work with THEIR parameters to get what you want. I have SW parameters for 16 gauge 304 dialed in very accurately for flat pattern blank sizes, but need to tweek the DXFs on the corners before sending to the laser. SW for some reason will not give accurate bend lines for 16G 304. The Delem control on the brake will, but the Delem control does not give blank sizes as accurate as SW. Gave up on that but using both gets it done.
    Getting good and accurate sheet metal parts requires experience, skill, and for damn sure, VOO DOO.
    As said above, bend single flange first. Double flange requires punch and die to fit inside the 2 single flanges and not touch the inside radius. If single flanges are slightly over bent then the operator needs to hold them open so the double flange does not bind.
    Thanks scruffy Need help

    Sent from my SM-G935K using Tapatalk

  9. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    124
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    58
    Likes (Received)
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thor232 View Post
    Yea think my shop needs a press break after all if you got the things made right you gotta do it your self thanks for the help guys
    We have 26 Press Brakes running 20 hours a day. Makes for a lot of interesting stuff...

    Get good at it and you can run stuff like this part. 18 Staged Hits, 12 parts per hour, 2 Open Hems (shimmed), 2 Closed Hems, 90°'s, 101°, 79°, returns. 10 sets of Tools. Pick the part up once, run it through the paces and you have a complete part. Holding +/-.010 on the Open Hem and +/-.020 on the rest of the features and overalls.

    The Pic show it set-up in an HFE-170. The Video was run on a HFE-100. I believe they reduce the number of tools and hits between the 1st run on the HFE-170 (14 foot Bed) so it could run in a smaller Machine giving us more flexibility scheduling.

    YouTube

    xxxx-0638-xx1.jpg

    xxxx-0638-xx2.jpg

    xxxx-0638-xx3.jpg

    xxxx-0638-xx4.jpg

  10. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Cartersville, Ga
    Posts
    207
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    49
    Likes (Received)
    105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thor232 View Post
    Ok thanks but am curious cant i give a bit of exaggerated bend radius to make it universal to most press break i could close the corners on solidworks i know thr corner relief gap will be a bit wide but thats ok am asking because am using different workshops to bend my parts because they are not that professional in there work i need to measure all the die openings of all of them so before i do that is there any modification i could do on the software so that the bending wont need that precision

    Sent from my SM-G935K using Tapatalk
    I really enjoy looking at the stuff 4 FN 27 posts, but the reality is that not everyone plays in that sandbox. Sometimes, the part simply doesn't require that, other times remote locations contribute, etc.

    Since you're okay with the corner relief being large, you can make it work with the larger radius, with no problems. You do need to narrow down to one shop, so you can design around their tooling, but it is absolutely feasible to get a tight corner fit even with radius punches - I do it daily.

    For the parts pictured (again, assuming you are getting the correct outside dimensions - you still haven't confirmed that), you simply need to add a little material back into the corners. Your cut program is cutting the notches too large. As Scruffy887 said, you need to go back in to your .dxf cutfile that solidworks generates, and tweak the corners a bit - whatever amount your gap is, add that back to the edge of the notch.

    I know you're looking for a setting to change on solidworks to make that happen automatically, but it's going to be beneficial to learn how to make the changes you need to make without the aid of the computer - with a good understanding of what is supposed to happen, you'll be able to better communicate your needs to the software.

    Furthermore, given what Scruffy and 4FN have said about having to adjust the corners or lie to the software, user adjustment on parts like that may still be a necessity.

  11. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    9,951
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3356
    Likes (Received)
    3564

    Default

    Can you make the flip side less wide to go in between the sides.
    That way the spring back might mate the sides.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •