What's new
What's new

Need help identifying this ironworker!!

lblinson

Plastic
I am new to the world of fabrication. I own a pool plastering business and needed equipment to do light fabrication and repair on my vehicles to reduce downtime during the busy season. Kind of started down a rabbit hole as I was introduced to more equipment and started scouring craigslist daily for deals. Last week I came across this old ironworker for $400. Called immediately and picked it up within the hour. Had a few attachments and various punches and dies. He showed me several basic operations and I was satisfied for the price. He mainly used it to cut angle and plate. It is missing a few things related to the punch. Figured I could find a tag somewhere on it and look up/ price items. But upon closer inspection it has nothing. I have scoured the internet looking at pictures of other ironworkers to try to determine a model and specs but have found nothing similar. Looks like a scotchman to me but again I am a novice. Any help identifying is greatly appreciated. I can provide more pictures if need. Thanks for any input!20141202_080059.jpg

Looks like Scotsman to me and has the right color.

Looks real close to the 45 ton portafab in style but my be a tad smaller. The 45 ton portafab is a $6,400 unit.

You could get much better pictures to narrow it down.

Not sure, but I like it. Looks like Scotchman/Dvorak from the general design, but generally the old Scotchman had the punch on the inside of the pillar.

Do you mind telling me how thick the overarm is? Thickness and height if you are willing.

Put your location in your profile...

No idea on the make, but in case you don't know......you stole that thing ;)

For real. A working hydraulic pump, the tooling, and the scrap metal value would easily be $400. Gravy that it actually works and you'll be able to make money of it.

Location, we must have location. How will the drones find you without it?

It's not a Scotchman/Dvorack! All of the small ones had double arms. One for the punch, the other for the shear. I used to work for a dealer.

My guess is that it's a Carolina or one of the other "Brands" that were sold off a truck. Look for a motor or pump tag from the hydraulics.
JR

Sorry. Been crazy busy. I will get thickness and height of over arm tomorrow. And info from tag on motor. Definitely one on the motor. Didn't see any on hydraulics. And I know it was a steal for sure. He was an older guy retiring. Just wanted to clear the stuff out. I tried low balling him and he laughed and said the same thing about it being worth $400 in scrap. Another question would be: what is the variety in punch styles/designs? Not as in size of hole or shape etc. I know there are a lot of those. More in how do I determine what style this particular machine uses. Is it diameter of the collar or are there more specific things I need to determine? I will post more photos tomorrow as well. Thanks for the replies.

Back