What's new
What's new

Need Help Selecting Hydraulic Press (Need a faster unit)

CNC4FUN

Plastic
I'm trying to find a fast hydraulic press to press in bushings. 20 to 30 tons is all I need. Where I'm having trouble is finding one that is fast. I only need 4" of travel on the piston. The ones I've seen have a piston travel of about 0.2" IPS working and maybe 0.25" retraction. At 0.2" IPS that is 40 seconds for one cycle. I'd like something about double that speed so I can get 3 parts out per minute.

Most of the presses I've looked at are in the $5K or lower price range. Maybe I need to look at more expensive units or are they all going to be about the same speed? Appreciate any help on sourcing something. We run on 220v.

Look at something like a used Hannifan C frame press or a 4 post press.

If you're going to run fixtures or tools in it the 4 post press makes the most sense. If it's real basic stuff then the C frame will do it fine.

I have a china built 4 post 40 ton that works great. I think brand new they are about $5k. I bought mine from a big OEM for 1/100th of that.

Enerpac makes a nice c frame press, only 10 ton, but if all you're doing is bushings etc. it's great. Using their air powered pump it has hi speed travel to the work, then shifts to low for the real work, all automatically. It's a great tool.

I would say you should just build yourself a log splitter press. Fast, low tonnage, easy controls, thread the end for attaching different alignment tools as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Looking at some old Denison C frame presses now. They are fast but cost is in the $7K-$12K range and they are quite large. Seems like overkill for my application. Would buying a piston, pump, and frame to build a custom one be a stupid idea?

2" thick plate with a hole in it.

Mount a hollow cylinder under it.

Make nut for rod end quick acting.

Extend rod up, drop bushing in place, add washer & quick nut, pull
cylinder down.
As soon as pressure is off (cylinder coming back up) remove quick nut & washer.

You should consider a servo electric press if you need the speed. Many of them have force profiling that can detect a bad part as well. They are going to be in the upwards of 200 IPM capability. $5K is not going get anything new or domestically produced though.

If your building your own that could be dangerous fast but a 5” cylinder is roughly .8 gallons per foot of stroke so a 3 gallon a minute pump should get the speed you want and still be in the 7.5 hourse power range

You can reduce cost of motors ,pumps etc with a hydraulic accumulator......with one you get ram speed ,and the pump can run continuous ,and be a lot smaller......they are dear new,but there is always plenty of used hydraulic stuff from industrial machinery that generally just goes to scrap.

Back