Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Curious Yellow View Post
    I know what you're trying to do, but before you pull your hair out trying to do it, there are a few things you should keep in mind. Relying on the servos to get you as close to your target tolerance as possible is going to lead you into endless headaches. In my experience, there are too many variables to bother even flirting with thousandths. You've got to remember that you're dealing with consumables, so as your nozzle and your tip start to give up, you're tolerances are going to change. This is not a huge concern, but the things that really will affect your measurements are going to be your material thickness and therefore your feedrate, since those things affect your kerf and therefore your finished part size. All I'm saying is that your facing a lot of real fluctuating variables, and I'm worried for you if you're aiming for ten-thousanth-ish tolerances or something. Maybe you should explain a little about what you're trying to do, or imagine you want to be able to do, and we'll be able to give you better guidance...?
    I'm a bit anal in this regard, I realize there is only so much I can expect out of plasma cutting, particularly on a lower end table such as the one I currently have. but have the gantry distances correct will at least give it a better chance, thiusis a rack and piion table that only has on drive motor on one side of the gantry anyhow, I will be putting a router on it as well, but mostly for expanded foam, I would like to see how it would cut aluminum, I have a need for parts. Which leads to a whole new setup, I keep gettign driected to the port cable router, nice unit, but the spec on it are 10000+ rpm, I think that is too fast to mill some aluminum nad mioghtbe too fast for cutting the foam, I would think it would melt the foam?

One more thing to consider is whether you're trying to save the inside piece you're cutting or the outside. If you're using a Hypertherm, the swirl ring spins the air in such a way that to save the inside piece, you need to travel around your part clockwise. If you want to save the outside part, you need to travel counter-clockwise.
    I did not know there would be a difference in the cut due to the torch running clockwise or counter clockwise, I had not heard this before, or jus tover looked it if it was in a manual somewhere, I will make a note of this as I do have a hypertherm powermax 1000 with machine torch, Thank you.

Your lead-ins/lead-outs need to work with this as well. If you have THC, usually it needs .75 seconds to get its height set as well once it kicks off. Keep that in mind as you cut parts and measure your finished product against your drawing.
    I will check with CandCNC and see how long they they say it needs to get it;s height set. right now I have a ,200 lead in set for 1/8, i cut it down to .125 on the 14g and it looked fine,

Motion delay is a way to give the tip a chance to pierce the material before it starts cutting the pattern. If you're dealing with 14ga, at 40 amps, you wont need it. If you start going into .250 or something, you're looking at a .25-.35 second pierce delay at 60 amps.
    ok and that is what is called pierce delay in sheetcam then, I need to contact hypertherm for a better reference chart I think, as I only have one that was emailed to me for 60 amp and fine cut tips, I'm looking for more information to start with 1/4-1/2 plate, for kerf width and other info (just for a starting point)

The data sheet is useful, but it might be a bit premature at the moment. I'd just do some experimenting and tell us what you're seeing.
    hopefully I can get back to it next week, might be able to play with it some this weekend, setting up a data sheet for my setup as I go will at least tell me what is close and what isn;t I would assume, like I mentioned above someone haf sent me some that had kerf widths cut heights, piece delay, volts, for what amp nozzles, for a starting reference.

thank you for the help!

I will keep you posted