What's new
What's new

need large flat spring for old playground toy

climb-101

Cast Iron
I was wondering if anyone knows where i can have a spring made for an old playground toy that i restored for the kids. There is a place here in town but they have no interest in making me one or a couple of them. i’m guessing the spring is 5” wide, bent in a “U” shape with a couple mounting holes top and bottom. I can get specifics if i can find someone willing to make me a few. i included a pic of what the spring looks like on another toy. the part for the kids feet is a separate piece and i can easily make that.
54D2A85E-8743-4BB3-A57D-6F150CF07ECE.jpg

I have seen similar toys mounted on a tall coil spring. A flat spring is less likely to catch and crush little toes and fingers. The ones I have seen have more then 2-3 inches between the coils. I wonder if a coil over shock absorber spring would be too stiff. Can the spring force be reduced by tempering?

I was wondering if anyone knows where i can have a spring made for an old playground toy that i restored for the kids. There is a place here in town but they have no interest in making me one or a couple of them. i’m guessing the spring is 5” wide, bent in a “U” shape with a couple mounting holes top and bottom. I can get specifics if i can find someone willing to make me a few. i included a pic of what the spring looks like on another toy. the part for the kids feet is a separate piece and i can easily make that.
View attachment 320014

try your local heavy truck spring shop.

Seems like a car's rear suspension leaf spring could be heated and bent to the correct shape. Maybe that place that doesnt want to make one would at least be willing to correctly apply the correct heat treatment.

Go to a local farm tractor repair facility and see what the head mechanic says. He could probably tell you which tractor that spring is from and be a good help on sourcing the spring.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Some farm disks use them, can't think of what brand. Spring is used between gang and where it mounts to disk frame to give some flex when hitting rocks.

Wouldn’t a 5 inch by 1/4 flat rolled to the curve work ? Cannot imagine a 50 pound kid could make it “yield” just keep the big kids off it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carts and wagons often have sprung bench "seats",suspended by two C springs.....as there is a huge resurgance of horsey stuff,I d ask a local horsey person for a guide.......One of the few spring works left here charges $200 for a single plain spring leaf ,out of budget for a toy.

Back