What's new
What's new

New build, english wheel

Mebfab

Diamond
Latest build at the shop. Needed to learn fusion and the cnc plasma cutter. Found some plate at the scrap yard and got to work. Have to finish up the roller elevating mechanism and do the final assembly next.

Attachments

• 0628181606.jpg
    0628181606.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 1,224
Latest build at the shop. Needed to learn fusion and the cnc plasma cutter. Found some plate at the scrap yard and got to work. Have to finish up the roller elevating mechanism and do the final assembly next.

A future project if mine...

What thickness is the plate?

I want bolts in the middle and welded flange (closed) around the outside, if even 1/4". Balleigh uses 5/8" plate, no flange. There's plenty of 1" and + at my recycler. You can't overkill an English wheel enough, huh?

You realise people build these from 1/8 box tube, or less.

Yes, however box tubing has material at the outermost extremes, ref machinery handbook
(granted it's a cast I-beam style EDIT they do show 2 webs seperated by a cored area)

Your box section helps in the torsional resistance area.

Last edited:
That looks like a really good design Mebfab, well done! Will be a great tool for your shop.
I may have more than average experience with wheeling machines, and they are one example of shop equipment where the operator is the real key component IMHO.

Share some photos when you get it done, will ya?
Gus

Nice solid machine, flex is not the enemy its harmonics ie chatter.
I find funny how in the us its called a english wheel and over here its called a wheel or raising machine in the trade.
I have a wheel made by vickery that can work 16gauge steel, the limit being your arms.

Are you making it to work as power hammer as well like the baileigh?

Following this with interest. I built my own wheel, many years ago. Have yet to learn how to use it... I've always been fascinated by sheet metal forming work.

I find funny how in the us its called a english wheel and over here its called a wheel or raising machine in the trade.

If we (here in the colonies) called it just "A wheel"
we would think of B.C. …...

Attachments

• BC-DipInRoad.jpg
    BC-DipInRoad.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 224
Has anyone experience of making an English wheel using the building as a support? Say the lower anvil bolted to the floor, and the upper anvil fixed to an RSJ or similar? [hopefully this isn't a dip in the road comment!]

SO long as the thing is solid enough i dont see a issue, may need some bracing as the wheels naturaly kinda want to come out of vertical alignment in use but actual force wise its not all that much so should work great.

Real problem will be how well you can manipulate larger work pieces.

Back