What's new
What's new

New gun for old Millermatic 35???

slufkin

Aluminum
I have an ancient Millermatic 35. I have a lot of trouble with inconsistant wire feeding at the gun. The poor old thing is just totally shot.
Anyone know a source for these old parts (Miller no longer carries them)?
Should I pursue an updated gun assembly? If so what brand/type?
Anyone ever retrofit an older unit with a new gun?

I put a new gun on mine, It's nice but it did not fix it. take the drive motor out, Its a bit Micky mouse, looks like a windshield wiper motor. take the cover off the gear box, clean out the old grease and replace it with Mobile 1 grease. Or some other thin, non sticky grease. that's all I did to make mine weld like new. It would probably help to replace the liner in the lead as I have had that cause drag on the wire. I would do the grease first.

Last edited:
I would do like moonlight machine says first unless your gun is totally shot like run over by a dozer. There are 2 different guns for that welder and they don't interchange. Whats your sn for the age? They were first made in '71 and are the grandaddys of todays mig welders. I do have some gun parts for a later 70's machine...Bob
Miller - Service - Serial Number Reference Chart

Thanks guys. I will change the grease and check the serial # Tonight (this is my Home Shop welder).
I'm sure the grease will help, but the gun and leads have some serious problems. Actually looks like it may have been run over by a dozer.
Moonlight- what was the gun that you put on your machine? What was involved?

You should have a goto counter sales person, ask them for a rundown of the consumables on that unit.

Off the top of my head, there will be:

Feed wheels
Bushings/guides
Liner for the gun

Specific to the gun, length of gun, size of wire [right? size of wire?]

If you are familiar with the consumables, and the local Miller tech won't laugh at the old machine (like forklift techs....), you might consider hauling the feeder and gun to the tech and pay a bit for his expertise.

Or maybe the expertise will be free. The reality of many machines is the true cost is in the consumables.

Hilti used to give away their tools, cause the real money was in the consumables.

ebay shows this
Tweco Adapter Kit TMAK 35-M35 #2541-2050 Millermatic 35

A bit pricy at $228.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tweco-Adapter-K...051?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5188d976b3

TWECO Adapter kit TMAK 35-M35 #2541-2050

New In Box.
Adapts 180 - 400 AMP #4 Rear Conn. Guns.
If you are unsure if this will work for you, please send us a note with the Make and Model of your Machine. If you have it, the Serial Number on your welder will help verify what you need. Please include the Amperage of your gun,
This item is a Special Order.
Please allow up to 3-5 additional days for delivery.
We will keep in contact with you and let you know when to expect delivery, we won't leave you guessing.

I am thinking "gun not included"....

Inconsistent feeding...

Before you jump onto the gun or feeder... cut back those leads, clean up and reconnect all high-current connections... THEN see how it does.

Reason: If the resistance of your cabling isn't constant, you'll think the feeder is going crazy. Another thing that'll make 'ya think the feeder isn't feeding right... is a broken wire going from one of the transformer input coils to the terminal strip.

One could make that adapter pretty easily. Pick up a cheap radnor gun and go. No need for a heavy gun on this machine.

Thanks guys. I will change the grease and check the serial # Tonight (this is my Home Shop welder).
I'm sure the grease will help, but the gun and leads have some serious problems. Actually looks like it may have been run over by a dozer.
Moonlight- what was the gun that you put on your machine? What was involved?

I changed the gun about 1980. I don't remember what it cost. Installation was easy, the gun and lead was assembled. there is a quick disconnect on the welder. The plug on the lead hooks on by turning a ring a 1/4 turn, this connects the gas also. the gun and leads are from Bernard, I don't know if they are still around. Since I did the gun and the motor gearbox I have probably run 50 of the big spools of wire through the welder with out any trouble. I know I am probably on borrowed time before this thing dies but I'm going to run it till it does. I'll be using it all day again today, building another trailer.

Fix that wire feed motor too!

My welder fixer guru swears that the wire feed motor in that MM machine is a power window motor from a car. Maybe an old Ford? Could you take it out and the go to the pick-a-part wrecking yard and ask for "one of these" ?

My welder fixer guru swears that the wire feed motor in that MM machine is a power window motor from a car. Maybe an old Ford? Could you take it out and the go to the pick-a-part wrecking yard and ask for "one of these" ?

Well the Ford power window motors were the same from 1957 until a few years ago just the plugs were different. I have a pile of them someplace...Bob

Try the Millerwelds forum for info on anything Miller, and download a manual from the Miller website for your machine while at it.

BTW, the Tweco adapter kits and parts thereof can be had cheap on Ebay, and one option is to get the male part that mimics the original MIG gun separately from the rest of the kit. Download the Tweco catalog so you get familiar with all the parts.

Tweco and other MIG guns can be had cheap via Ebay with a bit of patience.

Not sure if anyone is following this thread... I have an old Millermatic 35 (workhorse still runs), and am probably the last person on the planet that still has been using it with the original gun installed. Unfortunately my hack to keep it running broke yesterday, it's time to come up with a better solution. I would like to upgrade it to a Tweco 150, but I am having trouble sourcing where to get the solenoid / mounting adapter; it appears that most of folks that made these gave up about ten years ago. Does anyone still have any info on these adapters, possibly have an old used one laying around? Even photos would be of great help! Thanks.
cgb

FYI - I checked the serial number of my MM35S (I guess the S signifies the spot welding option?) and the vintage of this on is fall of 1975. So that means it still has the original earliest model gun, and also currently does not have a gas solenoid (valve in gun broken since I got it). I plan to cobble in a 24VAC gas valve very soon, as soon as I can locate one. Just to be able to weld today, I will have to repair the external trigger switch, which was cobbled on last time the original internal switch gave up the ghost. My last quick fix lasted quite a while, so I can take my time for the gun upgrade and try to get right the first time. Thanks.
cgb
[IMG_0882s.jpgATTACH=CONFIG]242037[/ATTACH]IMG_0881s.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0885s.jpg
    IMG_0885s.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 1,064

Back