What's new
What's new

Niagara 6' Mechanical Shear evaluation

AndyF

Stainless
I'm planning to look at a 14ga, 6' Niagara Mechanical shear. The sellers bought it as a running machine and quickly realized they needed at least a 10ga machine to do the work they planned to do. As far as I know, they never actually put power to it and used it.

It has been in storage for several years, was stored in an unheated building with a leaky roof, is currently sitting out in the open and the asking price is just a little North of scrap.

Is there anything in particular I should look for/at in doing a quick assessment before dragging it back to my shop?

Alternately, does anyone have a running 48" Mechanical or Hydraulic Shear good for at least 14ga in the Northeast looking for a new home. I have a 48" Pexto 152 jump shear now, but unfortunately, disability has made it difficult for me to use.

Depends on which style mechanical it is. If it has pots, they go bad. If it has a large flywheel, well that has it's own problems. If it is a newerish under machine shaft driven, not much actually goes wrong with them as long as it stays greased. Just make sure there is adjustment in the gibs, and check the gears inside the gearbox for excessive wear and corner chips.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back