noob fundamental question about presses - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That lovely old fly press, by the size of the screw, has too little tonnage for your job. I believe those were often used for forming clay.
    The screw has multiple starts, which gives faster action but less force. The fly presses turned the kinetic energy in the spinning balls into movement of the ram. If the ram banged into a solid stop, the peak tons could be high (not good for it), but a soft material would absorb the energy slowly, and the tonnage would never rise very high. The fast screw makes it bad for slowly cranking down through
    Something like this
    DAKE 25H HAND OPERATED 25 TON HYDRAULIC H-FRAME PRESS | eBay,

which you can find an many truck service garages, could do your job all day long, at a minute or two per piece

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=magneticanomaly;3159946]That lovely old fly press,

Thanks, she is so sexy!

You are correct there is no way to turn this screw slow and do this job, but I kind of wanted to agree with a previous poster who states that she cant be hurt if the balls and lever are original to her design.

The results I got, which I'm satisfied with somewhat, were from "bouncing" the lever/ball back and forth. Unpegged to floor. And at the time I did not want to continue with the bouncing because I was almost certain that was NOT how to operate her.

FWIW, there is about 1.75" of travel per revolution of the handle.

Optimistically putting you down as a 25Ton believer. And thank you for the link.