Not happy with new Pressbrake - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    Hey there Garwood, your a little late to the game, now ya tell me...
    You were warned about that thing. Next time get a Trumpf or an Amada

2. Likes digger doug, pressbrake1 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Okay moon light, I have a bone to pick with you, I went looking for the post where you warned me.... I couldn't find it, so now your to blame !!!!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Okay moon light, I have a bone to pick with you, I went looking for the post where you warned me.... I couldn't find it, so now your to blame !!!!
    I did in posting #5:
    http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...x-12-a-339751/

What I didn't tell you (because you snapped back at me)
    Was I did a foundation install for one, and I commented
    (at the time) it appeared to built in a 2 car garage
    with a buzzbox, the machining I suspected to have been farmed
    out to the lowest cost bidder, and the whole unit painted
    with some spray cans.
    The electrical was the cheapest to be found, and not applied
    very good/neat.

But hey ! It's all "American Made"...

I will not provide you with any more advice, thank you.

5. Likes adama liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh, Digger Doug, you did..., I was just messing with Moonlight because that's all I can do at this point, I have a 33000 lb boat anchor.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

By the way Digger Doug, if you felt as if I snapped at you I apologize, it just came across the wrong way, I value everyone's opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What you have is basically a bottom bending machine. It is designed for American tooling, like 12 foot long punches and dies machined to +-.004. Hopefully. That is why it came with a full length bottom die with multiple Vs, and a full length punch. Can the ram take advantage of better tooling? Prob not and most likely not needed. What are your proposed material thicknesses? And angles? Mostly 90? You said you have factory start up? Address your issues with them, and for sure have material and possibly some jobs ready for them.
    When you get into a new Trumpf or Amada your first few tooling orders may well be more $$$ than what you paid for your BB. Those machines have at least 6 CNC axis and repeat to +-.0004, tooling machined to same tolerances. You buy tooling for those in sections. $49.00/inch for some profiles. 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 100, 200, 300, 500 lengths. 500 is the longest piece I have and am sorry I bought 3 Gooseneck 500 MM punches. Those are heave and need to be end loaded as well.
    Get your machine cleaned up and get the trainer to make it do what you want.
    My new Trumpf 10 foot 100 ton was over 150k. The 8 foot Amada I also looked at was a bit less, but had limitations on the back gauge that I had issues with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have to agree, American Made doesn't mean much to me anymore. I've been buying Chevy's starting with 2 S10 Blazers in 1989. One for me and the wife. Good quality got 150,000 miles out of each then to much rust. Then got a 2000 AWD Astro van. Van was great warranty service by the dealer sucked. Then bought a 2003 Tahoe, ate a set of front tires in a year and a half front end was that far out of whack. Yeah that was even after it went in for a front end recall. Then there was the fuel pump, 2 instrument clusters under warranty plus the one I put in on my dime. Fast forward to when the brake line burst/rotted through and I almost wiped out a car full of teenagers. Seems Chevy knew this was an issue but apparently not enough people got killed yet. Anyone else try to get their spare tire down lately? You see where I'm going here right? Got the daughter a 2009 Cobalt. Front end rattles like hell. GM's wonderful idea for electric power steering. To fix it would cost about $1000.00. Yeah they did a recall on the car for the previous owner, me second owner SOL. I thought I was the only one who felt this way. Sorry for the rant. Good luck with the machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After digger doug warned you I did not bother. I knew someone that had one, welded together by a blind man. He had a BB shear as well. To much rake in the blade, Drops were about useless because of the curl caused by the blade rake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post

I also suggested to you, a rebuilt Cincinnati, remachined, and with new controls.
    I've been getting to work on a 2000ton Cincinnati here recently.

I have nothing to comment of substance on this, other than don't take any short cuts. I'm not sure if the customer is being cheap or what, but supposedly Cincinnati came out and recently put a new CNC control on it. But nobody did anything about the leaks ALL OVER this machine, or the pump that was running way hot and getting ready to blow up, or even so much as washed it.

Wiring diagram was wrong, CNC controller seemed fine, but talk about a mess to clean up hydraulically.

I was working on it again today, last week the control valves were resealed and the literal hole in the side of one manifold body was fixed.

But they are only getting 1200tons out of it. Fun stuff, working on a machine where they are trying to keep up production while it's being worked on....

12. Likes adama, pressbrake1, TFPace liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Digger Doug, I went back to that post, re-read everything, your comment about the brake was that you were not impressed with it, I then went looking for a reply where I snapped at you because that is generally not my nature... I couldn't find any such reply where I snapped at you.
    When someone says their not impressed, I took that as maybe it didn't have all the bells and whistles that the high dollar ones have, and I don't need one with a lot of bells and whistles, so I ordered one that had exactly what I needed.

Digger Doug, I do have to thank you for mentioning that a 190 ton might not bend what I want, I'm happy that I went with the 240 Ton, no regrets there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

alsk,
    Given your location I'm guessing thats not A36 under the ram. Will the part get sub-arced and rolled? How deep is the pit under the machine?

Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    I knew someone that had one, welded together by a blind man. He had a BB shear as well. To much rake in the blade, Drops were about useless because of the curl caused by the blade rake.
    Man that's a lousy deal. BB has been around for many years, I wonder what keeps them in business if the machines have such problems and design flaws? Or did they build better machines at one time, and now quality has gone down hill?
    20/20 hindsight being perfect, looks like the OP should have traveled to the factory for a tour, and asked for a list of contact info for happy customers. But who knew.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I will also stone the bed down where it looks like the chain from a chain binder gouged it.
    It sounds like the shipper damaged the machine bringing it to you? If that is the case I would talk to them and get a settlement as well as getting the manufacturer to repair their quality issues.
    Dan

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Danny, I was the one helping un-tarp and remove the chain binders, none of the problems were caused by the shipper, hopefully once I get the 2 pinch bar plates re-machined everything will be good... I have tapped and blew out the 44 holes used to hold the upper and lower dies ( They probably all were not bad, but since more than 70% were, I did them all. )

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have been watching this thread with some interest. The Betenbender factory is 2 miles from me and I have been there often. I know the owner and several employees. I have brought this thread to their attention. They have been working with the op on his problems and they stand behind their products. Their man will be there on thursday to run the machine and fix any problems the buyer has! Remember there is always two sides to every story.

Are there better machines out there? Yes! Would he have been better of to buy a trumph or an amada? Sure, they probably make better machines. Could the op afford one? The better machines are probably three times the money. Can the op justify the need for more expense? We are talking big fabrication equipment here he is not doing watch repair. Betenbenders equipment will do the job and make you money. They have been around for 45 years and have made several thousand machines. If they were junk like some on here say they would have been gone like so many others. All the parts are machined in house and I didn't see any buzzboxes in any 2 stall garage either. They still provide parts and service for any machine they ever made. They will also build you a custom machine to suit particular needs. I have no vested interest here, just know some of the people involved and know there is always two sides to any story.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Servicar rider View Post
    I have no vested interest here, just know some of the people involved and know there is always two sides to any story.
    Jeff
    OK, I'll bite. What's the 'other side' to this story?
    It seems inconceivable a customer should have to do this work described to a brand new machine that the manufacturer "stands behind". More like, it should have never left the factory with these problems. My impression is, you know the owners of the company, no vested interest, but are posting to do "damage control". Lets hear the other side please.

While the company is standing behind the machine, they should do a final inspection before they ship it.

20. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And the "Factory"....I said before the quality reeks of "2 guys in a garage with a buzz box":
    Google Maps

22. Likes adama liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well after rereading digger doug's comments he apparently hates betenbender for some reason? And nothing I say will change his mind? And frankly I have better things to do than argue with some asshole know it all on the internet. As far as damage control, I did not intend for my comments to be damage control. I have no dog in the fight. I think we should see if the original poster is happy with the machine after he gets it running and uses it ? Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yikes

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Servicar rider View Post
    Well after rereading digger doug's comments he apparently hates betenbender for some reason? And nothing I say will change his mind? And frankly I have better things to do than argue with some asshole know it all on the internet. As far as damage control, I did not intend for my comments to be damage control. I have no dog in the fight. I think we should see if the original poster is happy with the machine after he gets it running and uses it ? Jeff
    I supervised the install of one, so when I said "I got a good look at it"

I mean it.

And I didn't sugarcoat it.

Everything the Op complained of, I found a few years before on the one
    I worked with.

Don't get me wrong, I have been in shops smaller, but they do good work,
    and ensure that only good work goes out the door.

Look at RJ Newbold's products, and where/how he produced them, and you can see what is possible.

"I have no dog in the fight"
    Pure bullshit, the truth is in your post's.

At least you revealed your real loyalties.

26. Likes adama liked this post