What's new
What's new

Old Fart, New Technology

Cyclotronguy

Stainless
It's time for a new TIG machine; and I have to admit the new Miller inverter machines have a lot going for them. But, I have a question that my local welding supply idiots can't begin to answer, or even understand.

Back in the day, I'd have some out of position welding on a rusty, dirty bit of pipeline in need of some AWS 6010.

Now those of you who've run 6010 know it not the most forgiving filler rod on the planet. With my old Lincoln TIG 300 all you had to do was flip on the High-Freq and weld right through grease, paint, rust, mud & spiders.....

Is there any way to trick the controls of the new Miller machines to get the High Frequency to come on when stick welding???????

Cyclotronguy

Doesn't HF always get bypassed on stick mode on any machine? I truly never heard of running stick with HF On. I doubt its going to happen with an inverter.

6011 would be easier on arc starts and also to maintain an arc than 6010.

Nope. Tig and stick modes have different arc characteristics.

Plus the new inverters dont use high frequency like the old machines had it. This is more of just a high voltage pulse to start the arc. With inverters and most square wave machines it is not necessary to weld in ac with HF so they eliminated it.

My dad used to have an old stick machine with a HF Stabilizer on the top of it. It can help with starting and when welding AC stick.

Miller touts the ability to run 6010 on the Dynasty and has a hot start feature that is supposed to make starting easier.

Back