What's new
What's new

Old Lincweld DC250

macgyver

Stainless
I got a guy offering me an old Lincweld DC250. It is the vertical torpedo looking machine. It is the one of them that are a 3 phase motor driven generator.

Anyway, I don't really need another machine at the shop like this as it would be redundant, but it is very cheap and I have been told they are a good machine. It is 3 phase which is no problem at my shop but again, don't need duplicate capacity in this area.

I saw a comment somewhere else that the generator section is the same as on the SA series engine driven welders, so I would like to know if I could pull the electric motor off this one and put an engine on it and use it as an onsite machine?

Jason

I got a guy offering me an old Lincweld DC250. It is the vertical torpedo looking machine. It is the one of them that are a 3 phase motor driven generator.

Anyway, I don't really need another machine at the shop like this as it would be redundant, but it is very cheap and I have been told they are a good machine. It is 3 phase which is no problem at my shop but again, don't need duplicate capacity in this area.

I saw a comment somewhere else that the generator section is the same as on the SA series engine driven welders, so I would like to know if I could pull the electric motor off this one and put an engine on it and use it as an onsite machine?

Jason

What were you going to do for a governor on this engine? Hard to keep a good arc without good engine speed control.

Honestly hadn't gotten that far in yet. Figured I'd see if anyone had any experience with one to know if it is actually the same as an engine driven unit and if it would be as simple as putting the right engine on it with the right controls.

If I could put a generic briggs type engine on it, it might be worth the time to do it.

Would a governor used in something like lawn equipment be the same as a welder or are they different?

Find you a reefer unit that the cooling system is bad they have really good Diesel engines on them. I made a power unit for a mud pump out of one.

Update, I told my friend about it and he ended up buying it for 20 bucks. I have it at my shop and hooked it up and it works good. It turns out it is actually a SAE 175-j, which from what I can tell is the same as the 250 but only 175 amp machine. I will say you for sure know it is on, the motor runs at 3600 rpm and the fan blows all the stuff on the floor out from under the machine. I think if a person were to use it very long you'd want ear plugs.
He is going to use it as is.

Back