Opinions on good 4 1/2" angle grinder - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Menard's has the 4 1/2" Bosch grinder on sale this week, a very nice unit.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have had my Hitachi 4-1/2" grinder (Korean) for about 12 years and works like a champ. I bought two more when I saw them at Costco a few years ago for versatility. I did not notice until later they are now made in china, but the build quality is WAY better than the shitty Harbor Freight grinders. I gave the HF one away after I used it only one time.

One MAJOR factor for me with the grinders is switch ergonomics. I like the Bosch and Hitachi switches as they stay on when you slide the switch forward, but are easily shut off by tapping the switch. I HATE the paddle switch types on the Dewalt grinders. The Harbor Freight slide switch was scary as it did not turn off easily and required you to slide it back. NOT an easy task with gloves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree paddle wheels suck and a switch that clicks on is most conveniant. Harbor freight is nice and light for some things but so loud it gives me a headache. The bosch I have has a tool free guard adjustment. If you are going to have just one grinder the Metabo with a (quicknut),( needs the slotted shaft on the Metabos) is great as you don't need to look for a tool to change grinding wheels, I use this one for most all grinding and have 3 more metabos picked up at flee markets for flap discs and sanding and scotch brite pads.One six inch has variable speed that is handy for big pads. I have had the electronis variable speed on one Bosh go bad but they all last for a long time if you don't overload them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah i forgot that quirk about the metabo at work, not only is the spindle thread over long getting in the way - hitting the work using some discs - approaches but the guard is also very deep, again catching on the work. The Bosch ones seam to be a lot better sized, you want the guard there, but it can not get in the way. Some point im going to let the metabo guard encounter the big belt sander and make it a little more user friendly. Im not a fan of quick change nuts, using flap wheels i find i can generally undo them by hand as with most grind stones, only normally need a spanner for cutting discs if they have jammed in the cut and really tightened up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Opinions on good 4 1/2" angle grinder

I love the dewalt 28402K angle grinder. Virtually bulletproof, I haven't had one armature toast in 4-5 years of using them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have the Metabo and also a few Milwaukee. Metabo is better built (have had them all apart). However, it's 3 years warrantee compared to Milwaukee's 5. Milwaukee has been great about fixing my grinder 4.5 years after purchase (no proof of purchase) when it had clearly been given a hard life.

Also, some disagree, but I strongly prefer the paddle switch version. Yes, it's a bit harder to use one handed if you have to reach somewhere awkward with it. But it's great to have a kill switch. I have this on both Milwaukees and Metabos.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Harbor Freight heavy duty angle grinder with paddle switch. It is awesome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken123 View Post
    The Harbor Freight heavy duty angle grinder with paddle switch. It is awesome!
    The Chinese word for that is dim sum; not awe some. Takes little bites at a time. All too often made with MSG (Motors Suck, Generally).

Best used if you don't care about ergonomics, power/weight ratio, safety features -- and are cutting something like concrete block and don't want to abuse one of your regular grinders.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just bought a new fein. Not as good as the old Fein's IMO, but still good.

It was cheaper than the metabo.

Basically, I've got a fab shop full of grinders.

Metabo's are used for anything big (usually a big grinding wheel to resurface the welding table). 6" Fein always has a cutoff wheel on it. Makita has a flap disk on it and the handle removed since it's small enough to be held with one hand. 4 1/2" Fein was actually a purchase for home.

I was a fan of Harbor Freight for many years, til I got spoiled with good tools. I can grind a lot longer with a Fein or Metabo, the HF would shake so much it made my hand numb. I still have the HF's as loaners. Anyone touches my Fein I'll use it to neuter them.

10. Likes Walter A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ughhhh angle grinders..
    i hate them but have no choice and have a wall full of them.

i'm also of the school of thought that the horror fright ones are cheap enough to have a wheel of every style mounted.
    there are four of them hanging on the wall and they probably see the most use.
    i also have 2 arguably slightly better quality hitachi ones and those are probably the better choice for cutting or heavier grinding with a hard disc.
    i have porter cable 4.5" and 6" as well that seem ok i guess.
    and two larger hf 7" ones.
    back in my wood chuck days i was pretty partial to milwaukee stuff but seems like their quality has went downhill over the past ten years..back in the day though they made some really nice stuff.
    fein stuff is beautifully made but priced accordingly.
    the angle grinders are also some of the only hf things in my shop as i don't consider many other tools to be 'disposable'.
    they are throw away tools, sadly.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Milwaukee's five year warranty is hard to beat. I like their stuff just don't get the cheap end. My best customer builds aluminum yachts and they use Milwaukee's exclusively. They constantly strip gear boxes and the warranty covers everything even damaged cords I believe. They also have in my opinion the best guard's although the Bosch I just got has a pretty nice one.
    I recommend getting 5" rather than 4.5" they're that much better. 9000rpm makes discs last much longer to
    Jordy

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Watch YouTube videos by AvE, he does tear downs of electric power tools including angle grinders.

14. Likes vanguard machine, Philabuster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cellardoor7 View Post
    Watch YouTube videos by AvE, he does tear downs of electric power tools including angle grinders.
    and he's pretty hilarious as well

16. Likes Philabuster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have one of these 5" Variable Speed Angle Grinder | L3410VRG | Flex - Lehigh Valley Abrasives it's one of the nicest grinders I have ever used. Made in Germany.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its a very valuable think to discuss. I was also stuck in this issue but after reading this article.
    My all issues and confusions are clear. I hope you will also read that.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by john paret View Post
    Its a very valuable think to discuss. I was also stuck in this issue but after reading this article.
    My all issues and confusions are clear. I hope you will also read that.
    Spammer.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by adama View Post
    800 watts is plenty for a 4 1/2" angle grinder. IMHO if your leaning on it hard enough to bog that down then chances are you need to be using a bigger wheel + bigger grinder. Or you need to be getting some better consumables!
    I'm sure there's a difference but I've not noticed it. What brands does everyone recommend?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As a Fabricator, and not so much a Machinist, I regularly use an angle grinder for an hour or two a day. One thing that is by far the most important factor for me is the ergonomics of a grinder. This is a tool that you will want to have a firm grip on, and often for extended periods of time. What feels comfortable to one user will not to the next. Try to go somewhere and feel them in your hands before buying.

Some people like paddle switches, and some do not. I have both styles in the shop, and use them dependent on what process I am doing. If I need to blend 500 small welds on 100 parts that need constant flipping around, then I much prefer a paddle switch for one handed use. I am partial to the Makita paddle grinders, and I don't like the Milwaukee paddle switch.

I have had most of the brands discussed. I have had good experiences with the Milwaukee's , and the Makita's. My cordless is a Bosch which I like a lot, but never work too hard either. I have a Metabo burnisher for doing brushed stainless work that has been good, but nothing impressive about it either. I do want the Metabo flat head angle grinder, but haven't had a need to justify buying one. Pay attention to the motor amps when buying as well, because most brands have multiple 4-1/2" grinders available with different specs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've had a lot of angle grinders. My favorite two are identical and were made by Hitachi. Never seen them for sale, though. I got mine when a friend died.

metalmagpie

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've got a selection of angle grinders, Makita, Bosch, and HF. I've been an advocate of the HF units for a while as they were cheap enough to buy several so you were not always swapping wheels, and all in all I've had pretty good luck with them. One issue that has come up with them recently is the power cords and strain relief, they both get stiff as a dead cat in cold weather and crack.