What's new
What's new

Optrel e680 inside lens fogging problem

John Madarasz

Stainless
Knowing there are a few guys on here with this same helmet as me...Having fogging problems and is a general PIA. I don't think my Miller Performance hood is nearly as bad but I really like the optics in the Optrel best. Tried all the headgear adjustments, taped some cardbord inside as a "deflector", tried a rag inside all with no success. Considering drilling some vent holes in the front of the helmet but that is a last resort...

Having moderate success lately with a bandana tied over my mouth...breathe in through nose exhale through bandanna... anyone have this problem?.

Does the anti fog wipe or spray work? I have a ton of super fine detail TIG welding I'm doing and would love to put this issue to bed

All my helmets seem to fog in cold weather. I just keep a heat gun handy and dry the helmet out between welds when the moisture is first forming. After a few drying cycles it doesn't seem to fog as bad. Anti fog wipes kind of help but seem to me about as effective as spit....like a dive mask. Ed.

Thanks...I'm gonna give that anti fog a try. This is a problem I have summer or winter... I wonder if a pack of desiccant or something like that taped inside the mask would help

Do you breathe through your mouth or your nose? I find that for precision TIG welding work, how I breathe has a real impact on both the welding and the fogging. I will take a big breathe in through my mouth, exhale a tiny bit through my nose, then clamp it all shut while I weld. If I have to, I'll start to slowly let my breathe out until I can't do it anymore and slowly start filling up through my nose. Sounds dumb, but it helps me with fogging, and I can stay steady all day doing that.

I have used anti-fog 2-part systems before (Bousch and Lomb) before - they sometimes seem to leave a little haze which I don't care for.

Oop! I see you say you breath in through nose, and out through mouth. Breathing out through nose in my case is much better than out my mouth.

Back