OT? Lift Start TIG for small inverter welder, thoughts? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Update:

Well I got everything put together and tried it out.

The lift start is very easy to use and I love the control the TIG gives me. All I have had time to do so far is a few tack welds on sheet metal and I am very pleased. The more serious uses will have to wait till I have more time to play with it and figure how things go with different current settings, gas nozzle sizes, etc.

Ries, I took your suggestion about pointing both ends of the tungsten - a great idea.

This is going to be a very useful tool for the money spent. Thanks to all for your help and suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What did you end up doing for your gas flow? Does the machine have a built in gas solenoid?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    What did you end up doing for your gas flow? Does the machine have a built in gas solenoid?
    At this time there is no solenoid. The torch connects directly to the regulator and there is a valve on the handle. Per the manual I set gas flow to 20 cu ft/hr and I roll the gas on with my thumb just prior to welding and let it run for a few seconds after.

I did this just to try it. Those are 2 tiny finish nails welded at the tips. I held the heat on a little too long which is why it melted down so far. As I said, I need more practice.

2-nails.jpg

They are only held in the pliers for the photo. I had clamped them in a small drill press vise with a contact bar for the ground.