What's new
What's new

OT:Looking for Wiedemann turret press owners-need info

MwTech Inc

Titanium
Piked up a Wiedemann RA-41p turret punch.

Good condition, with tooling.

I can mostly figure out everything but it would be great to converse with someone who owns or operates/ed one of these things.

Also after an long google search cannot find any op manuals or paper on this unit.

Possible to copy a book?

Any help appreciated
Andy

Moving a Wiedemann RA-41P

Hi,

We also have a Wiedemann RA-41P, and do not have any manuals. I do have a sales brochure i could email you if you like?

I wonder if you can help us....we want to move it to another premises about 40 miles away and were planning on using a crane truck to pick it up, but we cant see how you are supposed to pick it up i.e. lifting points.

Thats why i am looking for a manual as it would probably show how to sling it.

How did you shift yours?

Thanks, Tom

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the tip, just called they're UK office and unfortunately they have no info. They even checked with the W&S service engineers which was good of them to do.

Maybe i should try the US office.

I know about 10 years ago I serviced a shop in Pheonixville PA, (next to Valley Forge) whose specialty was Wiedemann parts. He manufactured just about everything you could want. I would do some searching and see if he is still around. I have no idea what the name was.
Bill

Post in the W&S forum, and maybe some retiree will pipe in. I remember as a kid watching a VTL through the open door of Wiedemann's shop in Lansdale, PA. It must have made an impression, because I think that was over 40 years ago.

Tozey
That's what the four holes are for in the side of the base.

Surprised this old post came back up.

We actually pulled the entire thing apart, literally everything and rebuilt the thing.

Here is what the base looks like, and the holes for lifting, still need to attach a strap to the rear, she has a heavy butt :D

Looks and operates like new, did make a few changes to the firing system.

Did away with the old metal strippers, use urethane now.

We had to pull the head assembly out of the base assembly because the guy did not have a forktruck big enough to pick it up. Comes out rather easily.

Must give some credit to a guy up north, was able to get some extra tooling, parts and such. Made the project much easier.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 468
Hey MW Tech,

Thanks for the info. I stared at those holes in the side for about 5 minutes trying to work out how they could be used!!

I guess they are used, but only to lift the base. OK so i guess we either need to get in a big boy fork truck (at both premises) or do some dismantling. It could probably do with a bit of work so maybe dismantling would be a good thing.

Looks a nice job of painting too, you must have sprayed that to get such a good finish. I am not surprised its as good as new these are from an area when thing were built to last!

Also thanks to Doug for the tip - yeah i tried Muratec, they sent me a one liner response saying 'We do not have rigging instructions for an RA41P'.
At least they tried.

Never had noticed this thread before. I've got an RA41P and IIRC when we brought it into the shop we just stuck a couple pieces of round stock thru the holes and moved it with a forklift. I do know we didn't do any disassemby. I'll look in the manual we've got later today and see if there's any particular lifting instructions.

I've kept mine around because the overall design of the machine is highly adaptable to a simple CNC addition, which would make it a much more viable machine for quoting some short or medium production jobs. I've run a few jobs on it in the past, maybe a thousand pcs total, and in manual mode I figured out pretty quick its a machine that'll seriously wear your ass out in a couple hours.

Thats the thing really - we are trying to avoid using a fork truck to load it onto a truck, as we will need to rent one at both locations. We have one but not man enough for the job. Over in the UK fork truck rental is so expensive.

It is cheaper to higher a HIAB truck, and thenwe can just pick it up, put it on the back, drive it there, unload it and skate it inside. But it doesnt look easy to pick up with slings or chains.

Thanks for the info. I suppose equipment id built with lifting points etc, but back then they didnt.

Did you put 2 bars all the way through the machine, and lift on these?

Nothing in the manual other than the fact that the holes are there for lifting.

Yes, round stock bars all the way thru. This is a common thing on all sorts of machinery, and particularly so on things that don't have full sheet metal enclosures. A lot of fully enclosed machines have holes thru the base castings too, although they may not be readily accessible once the machine is fully assembled. They are there for ease of movement of the machine thru the plant during manufacture. Once you get into machines large enough that forklift handling isn't practical, there's often removable access panels on the enclosures for access to the holes or other features originally used for movement thru manufacturing.

To lift with a crane you'd just use bars long enough to extend past the table and then slip the eye of a choker or nylon sling over each bar end. Probably would want to use a spreader bar if you need to keep the hook height to a minimum due to overhead clearance issues.

Alternately, if round stock isn't available, you could run chokers or slings across underneath the base, block them apart with wood, pad them where they cross edges, and lift the machine with no problem.

Another option is to remove one hook and run an alloy lifting chain thru each hole. The downside to this is the angle of the chains is going to put significant upward force on the table, so you'd need to pay attention to that and whether there's a possibility of damaging the table. That's something I really haven't looked at on our punch since I've never needed to lift it like that.

Personally, I'd lean toward slinging under the base as opposed to running chains thru the holes purely because of the forces on the table. In either case, I'd definitely use a spreader bar unless I had room to use a set of 4 hook slings 12 ft or so long above the machine.

FWIW, way more than half of the things lifted every day with cranes do not have specific provisions for lifting built in. 99% of the time this is a non-issue for competent riggers and people in the lifting business.

Because of the general configuration of that particular turret punch, if I had to rig it with slings under the base I'd also add a chain or short choker, depending on the required length, from the hook to the head area of the machine just to make sure it didn't flip backward. There's a lot of weight concentrated toward the rear with the way its built.

Honestly, that machine won't pose any great problem for lifting to anyone experienced in the trade.

She weighs around 6500 with a heavy butt :D Did I already say this?

The table is held on with two 5/8 bolts at each attachment point. All points are pinned as well.

The punch head assembly is also held on with plenty of bolts and pinned 4 places.

Don't see any problems with a strap against the side.

However the guides are there so be super careful.

Do you have rollback trucks over there?

If so take two 2x8 or so and make two runners under the feet of the base.

Then simply pull it on the rollback.

By the way you can hook to the cross bars between the two frames, solid lift point.

metlmunchr

Yea, she sure is ready for some ball screws and a control :drool5:

Real easy to do the mechanical, just trying to figure out the software/controller.

Any ideas?

Hey guys,
I am new to this site and just looking around and this one caught my eye.

I also have one of these "beasts". have run many a job on this old machine.

I have manuals if you need any info.
If you guys get the cnc worked out I'd be interested.

Dave I.
Newport,DE USA

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the tip, just called they're UK office and unfortunately they have no info. They even checked with the W&S service engineers which was good of them to do.

Maybe i should try the US office.

I just noticed this reply.It`s very interesting as W&S have only one engineer in the UK and he`s kept fully employed on automotive products and nice as he is wouldn`t recognise a turret punch if it fell on him.
Before MAG group got their hands on it and W&S was owned by G&L,who in turn were owned by Thyssen,Cross Heuller were the W&S UK representatives.They had a service dept consisting of manager,storeman and said service engineer.
MAG got it,shoved Cross Heuller in with Cincinnati,everybody except service enginner left,MAG closed Cinci and now engineers work from an office.

Mark.

I am new to this site and just looking around and this one caught my eye.
qinp2.jpg

qinp3.jpg

Back