What's new
What's new

OT: Is this metal part powder coated?

Spud

Diamond
Don't know what kind of metal it is.

Which method is used: powdercoating or electrostatic painting? This is a slicing plate for a food service equipment, so it is in direct contact with fruits, vegetables, potatoes etc..

Plate-pic-1.jpg

Plate-2.jpg

Don't know what kind of metal it is.

Which method is used: powdercoating or electrostatic painting? This is a slicing plate for a food service equipment, so it is in direct contact with fruits, vegetables, potatoes etc..

Plate-pic-1.jpg

Plate-2.jpg

What makes you think it wasn't sprayed or dipped ?

That second picture has what looks like a slicing blade, but it's not? If the part is aluminum then it's unlikely, it's just a guide into the cutting area?

Whatever. The choice of coating was incorrect for service, and maybe prep before coating too, as adhesion looks bad. If it was my project to repair, I'd be looking for a food contact safe powdercoat, if such a thing exists, but also try to find surface cleaning and metal prep methods to ensure best life for the PC.

I've never seen powder coat look like that, but maybe.

But I worked at a powder coating shop and a customer making trimming equipment had a hell of a time finding and ordering food grade powder. This was also just for guards and cases where food contact was incidental.

I believe they will only sell to a certified powder coating shop, with strict prep requirements. I've powder coated rusty metal with no prep and got better adhesion than what your picture shows.

To test it warm a flake with a heat gun and see what it does. Polyester powders will remelt, paint will burn.

That second picture has what looks like a slicing blade, but it's not? If the part is aluminum then it's unlikely, it's just a guide into the cutting area?

Whatever. The choice of coating was incorrect for service, and maybe prep before coating too, as adhesion looks bad. If it was my project to repair, I'd be looking for a food contact safe powdercoat, if such a thing exists, but also try to find surface cleaning and metal prep methods to ensure best life for the PC.

It is a plate that holds a slicing blade. I removed the blade, the blade goes on the otherside (3rd picture). Made in Sweden for Hobart. I talked to the parts guy at Hobart Food Equip, and he was surprised there was a coating, said it should be bare metal. Said maybe they used to paint the plates in the past but the new ones are unpainted.

Below you see the same plate sold by some sellers on Ebay and they look to be bare metal
NEW HOBART 3 FOOD PROCESSOR SLICING PLATE, HALLDE BERKEL SWEDEN | eBay

And here is a picture of an identical plate I grabbed of the web.
Hobart FP150 Continuous Feed Food Processor With 15PLTSS-6PACK Plate Kit – Restaurant Equipment - Charlotte & Gastonia, NC | Your Equipment Guys

Hallde.png

I've never seen powder coat look like that, but maybe.

But I worked at a powder coating shop and a customer making trimming equipment had a hell of a time finding and ordering food grade powder. This was also just for guards and cases where food contact was incidental.

I believe they will only sell to a certified powder coating shop, with strict prep requirements. I've powder coated rusty metal with no prep and got better adhesion than what your picture shows.

To test it warm a flake with a heat gun and see what it does. Polyester powders will remelt, paint will burn.

I don't know for sure it is powder coating, it was just a guess as it looks like paint. It may not even be paint.

I don't know for sure it is powder coating, it was just a guess as it looks like paint. It may not even be paint.

I was just chiming in that I don't think it's powder coating and listing the reasons.

Are you hoping to refinish this and put it back into service?

It is a plate that holds a slicing blade. I removed the blade, the blade goes on the backside . Made in Sweden for Hobart. I talked to the Parts guy at Hobart Food Equip, and he was surprised there was a coating, said it should be bare metal. Said maybe they used to paint the plates in the past but the new ones are unpainted.

Below you see the same plate sold by some sellers on Ebay and they look to be bare metal
NEW HOBART 3 FOOD PROCESSOR SLICING PLATE, HALLDE BERKEL SWEDEN | eBay

And here is a picture of an identical plate I grabbed of the web. This one also looks unpainted / coated.
Hobart FP150 Continuous Feed Food Processor With 15PLTSS-6PACK Plate Kit – Restaurant Equipment - Charlotte & Gastonia, NC | Your Equipment Guys

Hallde.png

In that case, it looks like someone did a rattlecan rebuild.

The way it is flaking off could it be poorly done plating? (no expert here just curious, and have seen plated food equipment before) I would just buy a replacement new one if it is available, by the looks of how corroded that one is. Or send that one out for vapor blasting and see how clean of a finish you can get it back to bare metal, since that is what it seems it should be now anyway.

I think the best fix here is whip out the checkbook and buy a new, uncoated part. I don't feel very good about the debris that went into food products from the OP's pictures...

Contact the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture and ask to speak to a food inspector. Tell them what you have. They may want a picture.

You don't have to be an organ donor to save a life.

In that case, it looks like someone did a rattlecan rebuild.

I highly doubt this was a non OEM rebuild as the coating looks too good on most of the part and this equipment came out of a major nationwide grocery chain. I am planning to get it media blasted to bare metal, since the new part is supposed to be bare metal.

that is definitely electroplating in nickel/zinc. aka a cheap way to cover cast aluminum that doesn't do well with food acids.

Just got email back from Swedish manufactuer, and you are right on the money. It is nickel electrolyte plated die cast aluminium. They stopped making the part this way in 2012. Now all the parts are stainless steel.

Just got email back from Swedish manufactuer, and you are right on the money. It is nickel electrolyte plated die cast aluminium. They stopped making the part this way in 2012. Now all the parts are stainless steel.

What's your customer going to do? I think a number here believe that returning this part to service, even with the coating removed, is not ideal. If the food is attacking a nickel coating, then bare Al won't hold up either...

What's your customer going to do? I think a number here believe that returning this part to service, even with the coating removed, is not ideal. If the food is attacking a nickel coating, then bare Al won't hold up either...

This is my personal machine. Won't be sending it in for service. Will just get the new SS replacement.

This link says no threat in using aluminum cookware.
Is Aluminum Cookware Safe? | Cook'''s Illustrated

Back