Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have been reading Welding Web for a long time.

Their business practices there were abhorrent.

They neither design, no build anything.

They import whatever is being made, design changes occur from one month to the next depending on the shipment.
    No consistency, no parts or repair support.

The first shipments, there were many many QA problems and DOA units.
    Warranty depended on a new shipment coming but they needed to sell everything

DOA units, replacement units shipped back and forth - sometimes 3x in an row - shipping on the customer's dime
    this goes on until the credit card return refund time expires and the extra shipping costs would have gotten you a real better machine.

The best support was by phone where you were to diagnose it over the phone and maybe get a board to plug in.
    No brick and mortar dealer support or service network.

Bad reviews and honest discussions deleted as a matter of policy- routine.
    Hundreds of posts deleted.

Private email offers of good customer service if you remove the honest reviews of the problems.

"scrap" machines sold on amazon by a "third party" that are not covered by warranty because they were not authorized sellers... if you believe that and (why would they not be destroyed before sold as scrap ?)

Maybe they are doing better QC, maybe the Chinese are shipping better machines, maybe they have enough business to do real warranty but I have seen enough to know I can't afford that kind of gamble.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a Miller 252 MIG, a Miller Syncrowave 200 TIG-Stick, a Lincoln AC-DC stick "Tombstone" and Victor gauges and torch on my gas tanks. I also have US-made Smith flow meters on both of the Miller rigs.

I guess that the Chinese stuff works, but I'd always buy American products when I can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you absolutely have to cheap out, at least check out HTP.

again, no country wide service or parts (all from one address in the midwest)

but at least they are mostly made in Italy and eastern europe, and the importer in the USA has been around a long time, has a good reputation and track record and supports their machines.
    you do have the problem of less support when they switch manufacturers or drop machines, but its a middle step between chinese ebay and actual industrial quality.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would just like to say WRT customer service Lincoln is pretty horrible. I bought a new Lincoln 256 late last year. It was shit from day one with an unstable arc and jumpy feeds. It's assembled in America from Chinese parts. I straightened the pre-fucked feed parts and machined the spool holder true. That didn't fix it. I fought and fought to get it repaired or a refund. 3 weeks ago I finally got my welder back fixed. Along with a bill for a new liner which was supposedly the problem.

I was promised a dozen different times I would get a phone call with an update and not once did they call me. When I picked up my welder I told them to shove the bill up their ass and they could call or come to my shop to discuss their POS welder and their customer service. Not an ounce of effort on their part. They never called.

Scratch Lincoln off your list.

5. Likes dkmc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is a welding supply store near me that handles this model. Eastwood TIG 200 AC/DC TIG Welder for Sale – Eastwood
    He sells it for $715 and handles warranty claims for the 3 year warranty.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keep an eye out for options/features on the welders. One of the reasons I went with the everlast 200T was because of the features. Being able to control preflow and post flow can be a big argon and tungsten saver. Also being able to set start amps and end amps is a handy feature in some situations(thinner metals). Pulse is another feature that can be handy at times.

Being able to dial all that stuff in over a long job can really save you time and money.

8. Likes dkmc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by turnworks View Post
    Around 60 amps at idle not welding 240v single phase. Lincoln 355 square wave welder. At first I thought it was a bad reading until the the 60 amp breaker tripped about 5 mins after I turned it on. Nameplate said 100 amps but I was dumb and figured thats what it would pull at max amps and I had planned to stay until 200 amps so thought I would be ok. I was wrong.
    Your box has the PFC capacitors (option installed), you can remove them if you want but I wouldn’t If I were you. I have a SW275 without the PFC caps and it has some problems with unbalanced AC over 180amps. Once the Syncro’s tightened up their square wave they added PFC option too (everyone did).

Check your (outside) power meter before turning it on, then check the meter again (it won’t be moving much if any faster). Then start and air conditiononer, compressor or resistance heater and go look at the meter again, WOHA!

I have a SW275 without the PFC caps & it idles around 5 amps (these machines also amprobe 60ish amps with caps in them). The real deal shows up in the manual for nema ratings on wire & fuse (attached). Short answer is the meter measures delivered power & amps are just a part of the equation.

For further reading this old thread may help (read both pages). → power factor capacitor -

Weld Talk Message Boards

Good luck,
    Matt

10. Likes Hillside Fab liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alskdjfhg View Post
    Looking at tig welders, ideally AC/DC.

Noticed everlast has this Mig/tig/stick machine for sale, and wondered if anyone has used these and what ya'lls opinions on them are.

PowerMTS 221 STi with TIG Package | Everlast Generators
    You have all that wonderful old iron there but you want opinions on some china pos welder! Get a nice used Miller or Lincoln for about half the money, you get twice the welder.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Matt I was not aware of that at all. Always glad to learn something.