Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    TAIWAN, PROVINCE OF CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for clearing up the confusion.

So looks like I should be barely using oxygen when welding/brazing, and using oxygen basically at the same rate as acetylene... meaning cylinders should last forever under that condition... right?

My gauge is in bars, not psi, and I had to look at it real good because I had assumed the output gauge was in psi (so I foolishly dialed it to "5" and turns out that was bars). So no wonder I was cutting the steel rather than welding it. I was basically wasting oxygen. They're not expensive but for me to fill it meant I had to carry it on backpacks to the gas store to fill it. I don't plan on doing any cutting except for intermittent cuts because I have other means to cut them (angle grinder is a cheap way to cut steel plates up to 3mm thick).

I just did a practice run, set the acetylene to 4psi and oxygen to as low as I can get it (maybe 10psi?)

img_1041.jpg

I just did this with a #50 tip. I was able to get nice weld puddles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If the gauge does not read low pressure that is OK. You can get around that by having the oxy regulator all the backed out, setting the acetylene at 3 or 4 psi and then opening the oxy valve on the torch, THEN turn up the oxy pressure with the acet flame going and watch the flame until it is neutral burning. Gauge may not have moved but the flame is right.

Yes, gasses should last a long time doing small welds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by taiwanluthiers View Post
    I'm sure it's pure acetylene. It says so on the bottle. But then gas welding seems to have fallen out of fashion because people prefer TIG these days.

Plus I was able to make some good welds, it's just that I was burning holes and the welds don't look that good... maybe I should get a smaller tip.
    Get some thin copper sheet (1.6mm or so) and clamp it behind the weld. It helps to contain the liquid metal and prevent burn through.

Also, are you sure the torch is set for a neutral flame? If too much oxygen it will burn instead of melt and too much acetylene will make a dirty crappy weld. Also watch your pressure. Too much pressure will blow holes in the weld.

Based on your photos, I would not describe that as "nice weld puddles". They should be smoother rather than the grainy look shown in the photo.

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yea, that was my problem, set the oxygen at 60psi and was wondering why 1. was going through oxygen VERY fast, and 2. was blowing holes even in thick metal rods...

I learned my lesson there... never believe Youtube videos.

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok, I think I'm getting the hang of this.

I got some fairly thick steel, probably almost 1/4" thick and I couldn't weld it even with the biggest tip (the 150) I got. I think according to the chart I need a larger tip, like a victor #3, whereas the 150 is equivalent to a victor #0.

I read for stainless steel you're supposed to use a carburizing flame, right? Something about how oxygen causes stainless steel to bubble and carburizing flame is supposed to stop that. I do notice stainless I tried to weld often had air pockets in it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To weld 1/4" steel Victor calls for at least a no. 4 tip.

metalmagpie