Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default paint pens

Does anyone make a good paint pen, marker, etc. for use when mag drilling? I am laying out my holes and punching them, but the light punch marks can be hard to see, so I circle them. Unfortunately, the cutting fluid washes away any marks nearby, so the next hole is harder to find. I'm looking for a marker that is more resistant to cutting fluid, but I can clean up later with a more powerful solvent (xylene? n-butyl acetate?).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Try AMI 916 paint markers. They are the old fashion xylene based markers. We've had pretty good luck with them in your application.

3. Likes DanielG, TFPace liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have done this buy filling squeeze bottles with paint and adding luer caps and luer tips. these are available on amazon and McMaster carr. I had a project where I had to draw thin lines with laquer, this worked well

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dykem makes a variety of paint filled pens and markers, they have worked well for me.

Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I really liked the white ones that Harbor Fright sold for a few years but they don't anymore.
    They were fine line, and dried fast and were very durable. Handy for marking machine dials as well as layout lines, and the white was easy to see. I have just a couple left from the hoard I collected. And whey they are done, I'll have to find similar online.

EDIT:
    These look to be identical to the HF units. Expensive at the 1 pc price, reasonable at the 12pc price but maybe not practical for a small shop to have them sitting around drying out. It's possible the local welding supply stores may carry them.

EDIT 2 Grainger??
    NISSEN Permanent Industrial Marker, Paint-Based, Whites Color Family, Fine Tip, 1 EA - 14U126'|'28840 - Grainger

Nissen Super Fine Metal Marker - Pack of 12 – markal.com