What's new
What's new

paint pens

DanielG

Stainless
Does anyone make a good paint pen, marker, etc. for use when mag drilling? I am laying out my holes and punching them, but the light punch marks can be hard to see, so I circle them. Unfortunately, the cutting fluid washes away any marks nearby, so the next hole is harder to find. I'm looking for a marker that is more resistant to cutting fluid, but I can clean up later with a more powerful solvent (xylene? n-butyl acetate?).

I have done this buy filling squeeze bottles with paint and adding luer caps and luer tips. these are available on amazon and McMaster carr. I had a project where I had to draw thin lines with laquer, this worked well

I really liked the white ones that Harbor Fright sold for a few years but they don't anymore. :mad5:
They were fine line, and dried fast and were very durable. Handy for marking machine dials as well as layout lines, and the white was easy to see. I have just a couple left from the hoard I collected. And whey they are done, I'll have to find similar online.

EDIT:
These look to be identical to the HF units. Expensive at the 1 pc price, reasonable at the 12pc price but maybe not practical for a small shop to have them sitting around drying out. It's possible the local welding supply stores may carry them.

EDIT 2 Grainger??
NISSEN Permanent Industrial Marker, Paint-Based, Whites Color Family, Fine Tip, 1 EA - 14U126'|'28840 - Grainger

Nissen Super Fine Metal Marker - Pack of 12 – markal.com

Back